New Tank Question!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MACATUA

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hello all! I have been gone a while so i wanted to ask a question. I am thinking of upgrading my 55 gallon to a 125. If I do, what kinda of cycle will ensue? I am going to use all of the rock and sand already in the 55 and add base rock and some new sand too. The problem is it is going in the same spot as the old tank, so i am hoping to do this as fast as possible. Any ideas if a cycle may happen or are there ways to do this without it?

Not knowing your livestock or how much LR and sand you have I will answer this as best I can. If you carefully handle the rock and keep it submerged in water you should not spike at all. Moving the sand will be the tricky part, try to do it in layers. Test frequently for at least a few days and keep some water on hand for changes just in case.

when i had to move my tank a 75gal , i drained about 3/4 of the water from it and placed a big piece of cardboard under the one side. This allowed me to slide it to it's new location across the room. You may want to do this, then setup the new one as muchy as you can (sump, plumbing, etc.) Of course take the water your removed and put it back into the new tank.

Doesn't answer all your ?'s but good luck.

It is actually not that hard. I did the same when I upgraded my 40 gal. reef to a 72 gal. It was also going inthe same spot. A little preperation will make things a lot easier. Make sure you have enough mixed SW that has been aged for a couple of days and matches your current temp, SG, and ph. 30 gal. Rubbermaid tubs are your best friend in this venture. Drain the water from the main in to some tubs and put any LR and corals into one and fish in another. take all the sand out and put it into buckets. Move the old tank and replace it with the new one. Put the new sand on the bottom with the exsisiting sand on the top. Put in the base rock and LR. Put the new water in the tank and let it settle. Start getting your plumbing and filters set up. Once the sand storm clears you can add you corals and fish and the rest of the old water. Keep and eye on the water parameters daily and be prepared todo another water change if needed. It took me about six hours to do mine. Good luck! Lando

Back
Top Bottom