New Tank question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Okay, just bought a used 80 gallon and I have a couple quesitons.

1. I noticed while cleaning it, there are two (not deep) surface scratches on the inside, bottom pane of glass. Its not a crack, just surface scratches. Is that something to be concerned about? Not sure if it makes weak spots in the tank.

2. Came with a UV Sterilizer. I've never used one before. Do I really need this? I plan on starting a FOWLR tank with plenty of lr, and in-sump protein skimmer, if that helps.

3. The tank came with a drilled bottom and pvc pipe leading to the top as an overflow to the wet/dry. My question - the pvc pipe is open at the top. Should I be putting something on top (some kind of screen or cloth) to cover the hole, or just let the water go through an open pipe? Seems a little odd open like it is.

Thanks all. This is my second sw tank - last was successful but no skimmer, no lr, no RO water - guess I got lucky. Want to do it right this time.

- Petious

1. light scratches to the glass are no big deal. cracks or chip'd glass is bad. I think you're fine.

2. I don't use UV on my tank. Its optional until you get into really delicate species of inverts.

3. no clue

RO water isn't required in a FO tank, but as soon as you start adding inverts/corals, you need full control over calcium and alkalinity, and tap water really doesn't give you that level of control. Skimmers are technically optional, but they keep the water so much cleaner that they're just a good idea. live rock has become the norm, but people used to keep salt fish successfully without it...however it has opened the doors to new species in captivity, and provides a natural enviroment for the fish, thus reducing stress.

1) should be fine

2) Use it if you've got it. It doesn't replace the need for the usual stuff, but it's not bad

3) search for durso or stockman standpipes and read up on them.

Back
Top Bottom