New tank question.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

midwestsmoke74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, i have a 10 gallon tank now, and im setting up a new 25 gallon tank. Would it work if i put the water and fish from my old tank to the new one which will only fill it less than halfway with water, then add about 25% (like a water change)new tap water. Then in a few days add another 25% and so on.... Im trying to avoid having to cycle a new tank because i really only have room for 1.

i did the same thing, put in some water from my 20 to my new 55, i think it would speed up the cycle, infact if you put all 10 gals into the 25, then added some dechlored tap water, it'd just like be doing a pwc

There isn't much beneficial bacteria in the water. You'd do better using some of the gravel from the 10g in the new tank either by mixing it (if its around the same color) or putting it in some nylon stockings and sitting it near the filter intake for a few weeks.

I think you'd be wasting your time by taking the water. Also, if the filters are the same, you can use some (but not all) of the filter media in the established filter, in the new filter. If you aren't setting up the tank for a few weeks, you could run the new filter on the 10g for awhile, but it may cause alot of current.

or you could just float a partial piece of the filter media(depending what kind you have) in the new tank.

Good Luck

Agreed. Filter media, gravel, and decorations are where your bacteria are hanging out. Don't worry much about the water.

As stated, the water doesn't hold bacteria. But, it will be easier to acclimate the fish if they are being transfered to the same water. Then after "acclimation" add the new water. Fill the tank up. It will be like a really big water change. :)

Back
Top Bottom