New tank questions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought Nerite snails do well in sand substrate tanks ?? Maybe those are nass(whatever they're called) snails. Alls I know is that I have 2 astrea snails and they are alive and kickin !!

I was at the LFS this weekend and something caught my eye. Since I have a rather big clownfish species, and this little guy was probably only 2 1/2" big i've been contemplating. It was a Fu Manchu lionfish. Beautiful fish !!

My only concern is its feeding habit. I know lionfish in general are messy eaters, and the last thing I want is it to damage my pristine water conditions :) He's feeding dried krill right now, and all the reading that i've done is that they eat feeder fish/shrimp and krill. I don't have the time or the extra tank to keep live feeder fish and shrimp, but the krill is easy. I just wanted some feedback on this fish if anyone has any !!

Thanks

Oh and BTW, this and my maroon will be my only fish in the tank.

-1 maroon ??
English please lol

Jimbo, just noticed your from Chicago. I'm going to be traveling to Aurora on a business trip from July 12th through the 16th. Got any good places to hit up ??

Haha, that lionfish is gonna grow and munch on your clown one day. Its what they do. If it fits in their mouth and moves, its a goner.

I know where Aurora is, but im not sure what stores are nearby, ill take a looksee and let you know.

I was talking in general, good food places to see etc etc.

I thought the max size of the lion was 6" and the maroon will get to around 6". It kinda sounds like i'm pushing the limits of my tank with these monsters !!

I was talking in general, good food places to see etc etc.

I thought the max size of the lion was 6" and the maroon will get to around 6". It kinda sounds like i'm pushing the limits of my tank with these monsters !!

HA, im an idiot. If you can make it into the city at all its totally worth it for the sights. I wouldn't know any great places to eat in Aurora specifically. And there is always the shedd aquariummm.

Oh, IMO I wouldn't risk it. You are betting on them growing at the same rate or the clownfish faster. IME clowns are pretty slow growers. They are a cool species, but better left to species only, or an aggressive FOWLR tank. I think tone said the other day his was always nibbling at his horn shark. :shock:

Despite the Fu Man Chu Lion only getting to 6'' it will eat your Clown. Lions eat things of the same size (and sometimes bigger) as them. So yeah, the Clown would be a goner. Sorry.

Added a 6line and a purple pseudochromis to my tank today. Over the past 2 days, i've added about 7 frags or whole colonys of mushrooms, zoas and leathers (finger and toadstool).

I'm leaving for Chi town tomorrow, and anxious and nervous to see how the tank does when i'm gone. The wife is going to be the feeder, so I only gave her flake and pellet permissions (don't trust her with frozen) and she's going to take care of the lights for me.

I've notices i'm starting to get some HA (both green and red) in my tank. I only feed every other day and what is left over, my pepps always take care of. My phosphate readings were .5ppm in the tank. I'm using elite chemiclean in my filter right now, hoping that it'll help suck out some of the phosphates that are left in my tank. Hopefully I don't come home to some kind of HA outbreak !!!

img_1135039_0_6c7fdb49134539bf0875d71744b4bdce.jpg

Just some updated pics with the new zoa's and the 'shrooms.

img_1135039_1_efe43f23fa6db382c4ab760d4afbf0f9.jpg

img_1135039_2_e1d1b521a1e19f7ca9914185612594d2.jpg

img_1135039_3_e0035ed20868b841b287cebcece96834.jpg

You can't tell that well from the pics, but there is alot of color in this tank. Alot of bright greens, oranges and blues from the zoas and shrooms. Some pink from my finger and toadstool leather.

Beginning of March i'm going to be moving this all into a 40 gallon breeder. It'll definantely help with the aquascaping, i'll have tons more room on the floor to place my rocks etc. Will also be switching to aragonite sand (finally).

My 6line died on me when I was gone. I assuming it was the purple pseudochromis that was the culprit. I thought the 6lines had a nasty streak in them also, so I thought he'd hold his own, especially since they were introduced at the same time.

All in all, being gone for a week, i tested the water today:

ammonia- 0
'trites- 0
'trates- 0
ph- 8
phosphates- 0

Still battling the HA, following the checklist to make sure i'm doing the best that I can do.

Nice looking tank. Keep up on that hair algae and you can beat it.

Awesome tank buddy! U've been doing great. I'm still stuck on cycling for about 3 months now... nothing yet. Turned ammonia and nitrite into nitrate so cycling was over... but no way PWC is getting rid of nitrates. It's driving me crazy! And now... nitrites spiking. [moderator edit]!
Anyways, u'r tank looks awesome, u'r doing a grrrreat job.

So i'm done joking around about lights. Today, I bought a 250 w MH pendant, a galaxy electronic ballast and a coralvue 14k bulb. I haven't been this excited since I purchased the tank in early March !! Now I can finally keep those dang acros that i've been wanting.

I should have it up late Sunday night, along with my new 40 gallon breeder. So long 38 gallon !!

Great news. It's always a good thing when you can do what you want and get the animals too.
I can't wait to see it up and running.

Back
Top Bottom