Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-06-2010, 01:29 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hmm. You didn't happen to look into the reviews on the Super Skimmer, did you? Might want to do some researching on THAT one before you take it out of the box!

Old 05-06-2010, 09:50 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well Kurt thats the thing. Almost every skimmer that I looked at in my price range has some great reviews and some poor reviews. Is there anything that you know about this particular skimmer ??

Well after trying to place it in my tank, its way too big !!! It doesn't even fit in my tank with the glass canopy on !! Sooo I guess i'm taking this one back..

Test results I did today:

PH- 8
Ammonia- 0ppm
Nitrite- 0ppm
Nitrate- 10ppm

So nothing has changed in my tank as of 5/4. Placed fish flakes in tank on same day.
I did notice my snail thats in my tank found a new shell somewhere. Either he had a growth spurt, or there was another one in there. He went from a small white shell, to a coraline crusted shell. Oh well, i'll take it !!

Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 AM   #33
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by milhous3er View Post
Well Kurt thats the thing. Almost every skimmer that I looked at in my price range has some great reviews and some poor reviews. Is there anything that you know about this particular skimmer ??...
I have no experience with that particular skimmer. But it seems that when looking at folks' reviews and writeups there is definitely a trend toward "suckiness" when it comes to the Seaclones and the Super Skimmers. Yeah... there are always good and bad reviews for everything, but eventually as you read enough of them you start to see some common issues. I just had to kind of chuckle because I know that you replaced a Seaclone that you mentioned you hadn't researched enough about, and you replaced it with the SuperSkimmer - which also suffers a bad reputation.

So what is your price range? I don't have any experience with in-sump skimmers, but I know other folks seem to be highly recommending the Reef Octopus series these days. Skimmers are like lighting, in my opinion - you get what you pay for. That's not to say that more money equals better, but it does mean that cheap doesn't mean good.

Sounds like a blessing in disguise that the skimmer didn't fit for you. And you thought this hobby was easy and relaxing?!
Old 05-06-2010, 12:05 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well the seaclone had a missing part, so thats the reason why i returned that. My price range was around 150 or so. The skimmes that you mentioned, do they have a hang on back model ?? I don't have a sump, so I can't used it that way. I've been in this hobby before, getting out around 4 years ago. My tank was only 12 gallons so I didn't need a skimmer. I appreciate your input on helping me find a good skimmer. Hopfully i'll find one that does the trick.

Thanks again, Jason
Old 05-06-2010, 03:50 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Freak

So i'm at work now (where I do most of my SW research and reading) and I found this-

Reef Octopus BH-100F. It is only 3" deep so i'm sure I can get it into my tank. It got really good reviews from what I can read so far.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:03 PM   #36
Aquarium Advice Activist

hey thats good just don't ever get another seaclone. unless you are using it as a sump then they work fine. if you want an HOB skimmer look at the CPR bak pac they have great reviews and from what i hear there one of the best
Old 05-06-2010, 04:53 PM   #37
Aquarium Advice Freak

Thanks for the input. Like you said they do have great reviews. Both are relatively the same size.
Old 05-07-2010, 05:03 PM   #38
Aquarium Advice Freak

Purchased this CPR BAK PAK 2 skimmer after some thinking and reading the reviews. Both this and the Octopus BH100F had very good reviews. I like this because of the filtration thats in the skimmer, hopefully that means I can take my HOB filter off. What I did like about the Octopus was it had an extra resevoir where I could have hid my heater. Oh well, both are better than the Coralife and the Seaclone.
Old 05-09-2010, 10:33 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice Freak

Some new LR I added yesterday-

Side view-

What my tank looked like before adding LR-
Old 05-11-2010, 04:45 PM   #40
Aquarium Advice Freak

Someone got a 96watt compact flourescent lighting system today !!! Any guessers ??

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com