Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2010, 08:07 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not me. hahaha good for you. Just remember that compacts have their limits and do not penitrate as much as T-5's but in your size tank should work. With a compact unit you're kind of limited in bulb selection.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:13 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well it looks like I may be ready for some fish this weekend. Only thing holding me back right now is the noise that my bak pak is making, surely a fish would be too stressed if I placed him in that kind of condition.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Addict

Put up some reading so we can check it out.
Old 05-11-2010, 08:20 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Freak

of course. i've been testing my water just to make sure i was ready and its been spot on the same. my ph is kinda low and i'm assuming a water change will bring that up alittle ?? torn between a pair of percula clowns or maroon clowns. then again tomato clowns are very pretty.....decisions
Old 05-17-2010, 05:37 PM   #45
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well saturday was the day !!! Added a peppermint shrimp (had some apstasia and what looks like majano) to clear that up, he hasn't taken to them yet. 3 red legged hermits and 2 astrea snails. I know its not fish, but its atleast something to look at !!

Skimmer has been doing a great job at pulling out pea (the vegetable) colored skimmate out of the tank. Smells like crap...literally.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:13 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Freak

After a small ammonia spike .25ppm on 5/13, my test have been back to 0ppm for the whole week. Noticed my nitrates are going down, now at levels of 10ppm instead of the 15-20ppm it has been. Those test kits coloring scheme needs some work done to them, half the time I can't tell what range they fall in !!

On a sadder note, I did lose one of my hermit crabs. Noticed the poor guys legs just laying in the substrate....survival of the fittest I guess !!??!!

Skimmer seems to be working pretty good, nice dry, greenish skimmate.
Old 05-20-2010, 11:24 AM   #47
AA Team Emeritus

Sounds like you're on your way! I think that stuff you call filtration in the BakPak is meant to be bio-media. Similar to bio-balls or live rock that stuff lives on.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #48
AA Team Emeritus

Wow, I just realized I was commenting on your earlier post of page 4 about the new skimmer.
And you sure that isn't a crab molt?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 11:49 AM   #49
Aquarium Advice Freak

no i've seen my fair share of dead hermits, lol. I can only find 2, and i've been looking all day. he was a good one too i'm sure.

so i have 2 PH, 40lbs of LR, and a PS rated for a 65 gallon tank. Do I really need a source of filtration, due to the amount of LR and flow in tank ?? I have no deadspots in my tank that algea can build up due to low flow. I did notice i had some small hair algea already, but atleast my apstasia is gone now that my peppermint shrimp knows what I bought it for !!
Old 05-20-2010, 03:29 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice FINatic

No, you dont need a filter as your LR will take care of ammonia, but they can come in very handy for filtering out particles and what not. They also make running carbon and GFO very easy. I use a Fluval 305. Keep in mind that youll need to clean these once a week else they become a little nitrate factory.

I bet your hermit molted. Mine do that all the time and look just like a dead hermit. Unless you see an empty shell nearby, assume its a molt. Last night I thought my favorite hermit was dying, so I made him a little house out of epoxy to keep him safe while he recovers only to find him WALKING around somewhere else! Got me good!

Matt

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com