Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2010, 04:29 PM   #51
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just be sure to have extra shells of variout sizes in your tank for them to change into.

Old 05-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #52
Aquarium Advice Freak

See I found no empty shell. I need to get to the LFS and get a handful of empty shells. But it looked like some meaty tissue on the ends of the little legs that were laying in the CC.

I had a HOB filter that I had running just for ciculation and had a bag of phosguard in there to control my silicates.

Old 05-20-2010, 06:04 PM   #53
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get my extra shells from a Ben Franklin hobby shop.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:06 AM   #54
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrg02d View Post

I bet your hermit molted. Mine do that all the time and look just like a dead hermit. Unless you see an empty shell nearby, assume its a molt. Last night I thought my favorite hermit was dying, so I made him a little house out of epoxy to keep him safe while he recovers only to find him WALKING around somewhere else! Got me good!

Matt
What do you know, that little guy was in the tank. Either that, or they had a little one that grew up really fast. I counted 3 again and about fell over !! I guess next time, I shouldn't assume...

Its just funny that I've been counting everday since I thought he died, and only found 2, but yesterday I found the 3rd ??? Oh well !!
Old 05-26-2010, 11:17 AM   #55
AA Team Emeritus

And "meaty tissue" on the molts is a normal thing...as you now know. Believe me, you're not the first person that sight has freaked out.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2010, 11:45 AM   #56
Aquarium Advice Freak

Not much has changed. Hoping to add 2 tomato clowns this weekend. Need to do a PWC before I add them though, so hopefully I can knock that out Saturday morning.

Here are some new pics, added somemore LR and redecorated alittle. I know its kinda boring with no fish, but hey at least there is some hair algea !!

There is life !!

This is where my pepp hides.. as you can see, he was hiding..

Told you there was some hair algea !!

Notice the green coloring on this rock ?? Its not algea, and it won't scrub off..The below pic..

And finally the color of my skimmate off my skimmer. Smells as good as it looks !!

I enjoy looking at the tank every opportunity that I get. Even though there is no fish, there is plenty of life in there. My hermits were all MIA, so I couldn't get any pics of them.
Old 05-27-2010, 02:08 PM   #57
Aquarium Advice Addict

I noticed a couple of things.
1) I would not keep your "Mag-Float" so close to the bottom of your tank.
2) That green on your rock is the first stage of coralline algae.
3) If you can remove that rock with the hair algae on it then do that.
If not try to manuelly remove as much as you can and hope your hermits would take over from there. On very small patches I have had good luck with shooting some Kalk on the area. (monitor your PH levels).
Old 05-27-2010, 04:46 PM   #58
Aquarium Advice Freak

TC, (not trying to be rude, just don't know how to ask it) Why not have it at the bottom of my tank ?? I keep it there for looks because I don't like it at the top of my tank.

I took out a rock before I took these pictures and scrubbed off the hair algea with an old toothbrush. Worked pretty good. The hair on the rock I scrubbed was probably alittle bigger than the size of a nickel, and about an inch or so long. I left the remaining in my tank so my hermits/snails wouldn't starve.

So signs of coraline are good I'm taking it ?? Sounds like it !!
Old 05-27-2010, 05:11 PM   #59
Aquarium Advice Addict

I hope your tank is glass. I have an acyrlic tank and have to be very careful not to get sand between the inside area of the Mag-float so as not to scratch the acrylic. Mag-floats are very strong magnets and in time if you lget sand in there I think it will scratch glass tanks as well.
Yes, coralline is a sign of a health tank. Until you have to start cleaning your glass everyday.
If the hair algae is only in one spot and you can take the rock out I would take it out and get rid of it. Your snails will have more time to eat somewhere else.
Old 05-27-2010, 05:27 PM   #60
Aquarium Advice Freak

Ok, and I should do this scrubbing in salt water right ?? That way it keeps the bacteria on the rock ??

My tank is glass, and even have CC as my substate. I'll keep that in mind when I clean the glass again !!

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com