Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-29-2005, 10:29 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Yeah. I can't spend anything else at the moment.
Initial Setup was a bit of a shock.

Did some tests after having the tank up for three days. I don't know exactly how accurate my findings are but you can give me any comments.

Salinity - 1.021-1.022
Ammonia - 1ppm
Nitrite - .5 ppm
PH - 8.2
Nitrate - somewhere between 0 and 2. I can't tell. It looks a bit orange but fits better with the upper level than the lower.

I did follow all the shaking instructions and my arm hurts.

Things seem to be going well for my first salt tank. My first aquarium was a freshwater only a few years ago. The wife sucked me into fish with a small tank. Funny how things turn around and I'm more into it than her.

Old 08-02-2005, 12:35 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

I did some more testing today and found an interesting result.

Salinity - 1.022
pH - 8.2
Ammonia - .25
Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 15

Is my tank already cycled in six days? I have a reading of 15 on Nitrates but still some Ammonia. I did add shrimp yesterday to help add ammonia to make nitrates but with my current reading of nitrates I'm thinking I don't need the shrimp in there.

Could I just remove the shrimp. Do a water change and add a couple of fish?

I'm thinking about the following:
Clowns
Damsels
Dwarf Angel
Tang
Snails

How many clowns and damsels should I get? Just pairs? How many snails do you guys suggest? I've heard inverts should be added first.

Old 08-05-2005, 01:49 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Tank seems to be doing well. I've been given 50-70 for a skimmer or more live rock. Do you guys think I should get a skimmer since I have 30 lbs live rock already?

I've heard good and bad about the seaclones but I don't need much. a seaclone 100 would be fine on a 55 gallon tank. Any other suggestions?

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, cycle, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com