new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Gillman

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently set up a 55 gal. with 40 lbs live sand placed over 30 lbs well rinsed dead argonite.Ten days later added 50 lbs uncured fiji live rock,and ten more days added another 25 lbs of the same.About two weeks since startup have a large diatom bloom.I guess my main question is at what stage should i start paying attention to water parameters?And when should i do my first pwc?Oh yeah-i'm running a skimmer,two ph's,and a penquin 350.Also 260 watts compact fluorescent on 10 hrs a day.What else do i need to cycle the tank,besides time?In no big hurry.TIA The Gillman

The uncured LR will cycle your tank. Let it cycle, and check your water parameters every couple days. You will see ammonia, then nitrite, then nitrate. When the nitrates subside, you're ready to go. After that you can start regular water changes. The diatom bloom will go away, also. You dont need to run the skimmer during cycling, but it wont hurt, either.

Start paying attention to NH3 and NO2 for now. Once you see a spike and fall of those test for NO3. Once NH3 and NO2 ar at zero and NO3 hav spiked do the water change.

Back
Top Bottom