new tank questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ct67_72

Aquarium Advice Activist
well i got a good deal on a 90 gallon tank and want to do a FOWLR tank. Im not doing any coral because of my fish choice. Im planning on doing probably 120 pounds of live sand and about the same or 150 pounds of live rock.
what will I need for water flow and lighting?
Ill most likely use a rena xp4 for filtration but am reconsidering because I would like to do a sump and im not sure how to go about doing it.
i think my fish choices will be with tangs, angels and butterflies. Im also not sure what else to keep with these.
any insight is appreciated. thanks in advance. Dan

OK, first, go with the sump, I did not on my 125 and have on my 180, makes life a lot easier.

Second, LR and LS choice sounds fine.

Third, Not to bum you out, but be careful stocking a 90 with those size fish. Most tangs will eventually get too big for a 90, you could do a yellow, scopas, maybe blue. But if you did one butterfly, angel, and tang, you are darn close to overstocked. 90 is a bit tight for large fish like that, so I am jus saying, choose wisely.

Mike

thanks. Im just going by what the online fish stores say about tank requirements. Im pretty open to stocking suggestions i definitely want a hippo tang and butterfly, Im still pretty new to the sw thing so I want to make the most educated decision as possible

Personally I wouldn't waste money on that much LS. I would purchase one bag of it. It will seed the rest over time. I'd also only purchase 1/2 of the total rock as LR and the other half as base as the LR will seed the base rock over a short amount of time. I agree with Macatua's response regarding fish choices. Be careful with your selections for that size tank.

Back
Top Bottom