New Tank Setup

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

freppy16

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello, i am new here and just have a very general question.
I have been doing Freshwater Fish tanks now for about 4 years. I have a 40, 55, and a 75. But now i am interested in getting into salwater tanks for the first time. What are some of the supplies and general advice on saltwater tanks that you can give me?

Well it kind of all depends on how much you want to spend. I've been kept away from saltwater due to the cost it has, but generally people reccomend a skimmer, a filter of some sort like an HOB or canister, a refigium, some live rock, and sump.

The link huma-huma provided certainly helped me as I'm going through the process of setting up a SW tank. Honestly, I haven't found it that much more expensive than when I set up my 55g FW. I guess it depends on what size tank you're going for and what you're wanting to keep. Reef-capable lighting systems seem to be the kicker with cost of SW, but then in comparison to a quality light and C02 system for a FW tank it's probably not that much different.

If you give some outlines as to the size of tank you're looking at running and whether you want a reef system or will just be doing fish only with live rock, I'm sure people can chime in with some more specifics.

Well I'm planning on starting small, with a 40 gallon. Just some live rock to start and fish. But in another 6 months I plan on moving to probably a 75 gallon. But for now I'm starting small

Back
Top Bottom