New Tank....Slime on glass..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Addammer

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a 24 Gallon aquapod with approx 30 lbs. of Live rock, six snails, six hermits, and 2 clowns. The tank sat with nothing but gravel and LR in it for 3 weeks. We aclimated and added the animals very slowly and they are doing fine. Water has been tested multiple times since start. It seems like after adding the heater we are getting a light green film on the sides of the tank every morning when we wake up, it makes the tank look hideous. The owner of the local fish store here told us to keep the temp at 78 degrees, but everywhere on this site we see 72-78, what do you guys recommend? We did a water change about 5 days ago and it was back the next morning.

Can you offer any help?

Thanks,
Adam

WELCOME TO AA!!!

Your temp is fine. The key is to keep it constant....no more than about a 2degree swing. The algae (green stuff) is food for the snails. It can be controlled by PWCs on a regular basis. It means there is excess nutriences in you tank, ie; overfeeding, too long of a light cycle phosphates and such. It can be scraped off, rather easily.
Can you updat "my info" with your tank/equip/critters and we can be more helpful?
What are your plans for the tank?

WELCOME! :wave:

1. What is your water source?
2. Have you tested for PO4?
3. How long are you running the lights?

All of these could be contributing. Hopefully using RO/DI water to mix SW. PO4 could be present especially in not using RO water. Lights probably only needed 8-10 hrs a day.

Temp really won't play that big a deal in Algea growth. 76-80 degrees is a good range IMO. Most important thing is to try and keep it constant.

Otherwise it is not uncommon to a lesser degree. I usually have to use my magnetic scrapper every few days to remove light spots of green and brown algea.

HTH,

We are using RO water.
We have no tested for phosphate.
We run the lights for about 8 Hours.

It seems like every morning we wake up the all sides of the tank are filled with a film of green slime.

Another thing, what is the best way to introduce oxygen to the tank? Right now we have the power head pointing up, trying to agitate the water. Is this sufficiant?

Lastly, our snails keep climbing to the top of the tank, is this an indication of something?

Welcome to AA :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile: :flasingsmile:

Temp. is OK. The others asked some great questions. Only other question I have is how often are you feeding. Needs to be every other day.

Addammer said:
We are using RO water.
We have no tested for phosphate.
We run the lights for about 8 Hours.

It seems like every morning we wake up the all sides of the tank are filled with a film of green slime.

Another thing, what is the best way to introduce oxygen to the tank? Right now we have the power head pointing up, trying to agitate the water. Is this sufficiant?

Lastly, our snails keep climbing to the top of the tank, is this an indication of something?

Check the PO4 I am curious. You may have had some LRPossibly reduce lights to 6 hours if just LR. Otherwise continue the pwc.

As for oxygen aiming the PH at the surface is perfect. Normal behavior for snails.

Back
Top Bottom