New Tank started by a n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
What type of food should I get for the Clown? I understand this will be more than just one kind but I am not sure what I should be looking for..

Thanks again...

I like Mysis, shrimp. You can go to the grocery store and buy fresh, raw, unseasoned seafood and make your own mush.

Second the mysis shrimp. I also feed mine Ocean Nutrition #1 small pellets, Prime Reef flakes, and cyclopeeze. He doesn't seem to care for squid or the frozen Prime Reef.

Clowns are omnivores, so you want some vegetable matter in their diet. Many commercial brands are designed for omnivores. The majority of the diet should consist of meaty foods, but having some plant matter is important as well. I like a mix of foods designed for carnivores and omnivores staggered through out the week. If you make your own food ie blender mush, you can add some spirulina and/or dried seaweed sheets, peas, broccoli, etc. for the desired effect. SW plants are best and should always be included. HTH
BTW firefish are peaceful and kind of shy. I would make that my first fish addition so it can get acclimated and claim some territory before the more aggressive fish are introduced. Peaceful fish go in first and the tank should be stocked slowly over a few months for best results. :wink:

I just called LiveAquaria and seeked advice there as well. They said I should only get 1 goby and 1 firefish otherwize they will fight with eachother. The also said I should put the firefish in 1st and then the goby and then the clown...

They are all peacefull, that would be a good starting order as well. The gobys/firefish may/will fight if they aren't already a mated pair.

I have a question on the mush. If I only have the 1 clown in my tank how much "mush" do I feed it? teaspoon full? Just a dab? Will it sink to the bottom? If it does sink will he eat it off the bottom?

I soak my food in garlic (to help boost their immune systems, some think it helps to trigger a feeding response), selcon and zoe (both for added nutrience). My clown never ate off the bottom. My phs keep the water stirred so the food goes all over the place. I would feed as much as he can eat in under 3 minutes. I'm not sure if the mush will float or not.

Get Selcon if you can. Many others don't have as much, if any, HUFA's. As far as feeding goes, blender mush will generally sink as will most frozen food IME. Most of the time it's eaten before it reaches the bottom though. Clowns are going to be most interested in floating food pieces. Getting rid of food on the sand is where your clean up crew comes in. I feed what my fish consume within a few seconds. I add a little food, it's eaten in a few seconds, then I add a little more. I do that 2-3 times each feeding and I feed twice a day. HTH

I agree with the sinking, most of my food is eaten before it settles, the clean up crew takes care of the rest.

I might just stay away from the firefish because if I switch lighting to the higher powered lights I will no longer be using the hood. Therefore the tank water would be exposed and I have gathered covering your tank can lead to PH problems. .

Well, We have decided to just get a yellow tail damsel. The wife says there is no way I am putting a 20+ dollar fish in as my 1st fish. She said if I can keep the Damsel alive for a while I can take him back to the fish store and get something different in a couple months or so. For right now its just damsels and turbo snails.

Just be sure you know damsels can be very aggressive. If/when you add fish in the future, it will more than likely have to be removed. It can be a real chore to catch a damsel in a tank w/ LR. If you cycled correctly and acclimate the fish correctly there really should not be any issues w/ water quality/fish health- and we are here to help if thre is. HTH and good luck.
BTW if your keeping snails alive, fish should not be a problem. Fish are generally more tolerant of less than ideal water chemistry than snails and other inverts.

Y/T damsels are nasty fish.. I listened to the LFS when I set up my tank and put 7 in and any small fish after that got there ass kicked. I am down to 2 and they still kill fish on me. I just put in a Yellow assessor and I have only seen it 2 times, I think the YT Devils are keeping him in the rocks. No way to catch the YT in a 125 tank with LR.. Wish I never listened to the LFS>

Well I see what you guys mean about not being able to catch them. I dripped them in a bucket last night for about an hour and then dropped em in the tank. As soon as they got into the tank they hid in the LR. I mean HID in it. I couldnt find them lol. I also added 2 Turbo snails 2 serith snails an emerald crab and 2 hermit crabs. This morning when I woke up I fed them a little bit of flake and they all came out to eat. They are really pretty fish :)

1 X Yellow Tail Damsel
1 X Zebra looking Damsel
1 X Domino Damsel

I really like the looks of these fish. They are really fun to watch!

Do I need to feed the snails anything? The emerald crab seams to hang out on the rocks and pick them apart. But the snails made there way off the rocks and have attached themselves to the glass and made there way to the top of the tank and just hang out up top.. I would think they would want to be at te bottom of the tank but I guess not?

The snails will help eat what the other fish don't and tend to like to eat the algea off of the glass. The "Zebra looking Damsel" is probably a striped damsel. How many black stripes?

Back
Top Bottom