Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-19-2007, 01:41 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to surjer Send a message via Yahoo to surjer
OK - The LR will be in tomorrow. I am curious if I will have to cure the LR outside of my cycling tank or just drop it in there.

I am thinking I will cyphon out about 35% of the water in it right now and store it in a bucket. Place the new LR in the tank and then dump the water back in there. What do you guys think I should do?

Old 04-19-2007, 01:45 PM   #42
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
You can go ahead and put it in your main, the die-off will help your cycle and you won't have to worry about waiting for the rock to cure separately.
How far along are you in your cycle?

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:06 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice Activist

I havent tested it since Monday. I figured I would throw the tank out of wack by adding the LR to it anyways.

I just finally figured out why that thread says to mark your fill line on the outside of your tank. You want to KEEP your tank at that fill line and constantly monitor it because when the water evaportes the salinity changes in your tank. Losing water but not losing salt makes for higher salinity. SO you keep toping it off at that line to ensure the same salinity at all times. (Makes sense)

I have noticed that the HOB filter and the back of my hood is getting caked in salt. Its like building up back there. If the salt doesnt evap then how is there salt back there?
Old 04-19-2007, 02:12 PM   #44
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
It's called salt creep. Make sure you don't put that back in your tank. Just scrape it off and throw it away.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 02:27 PM   #45
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Try and keep it from falling in the tank if you can....it is very caustic and can harm your corals and fish!!
Old 04-21-2007, 11:31 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well, Got the new live rock from Live Aquaria yesterday. I got this little bowl looking peace that goes ohhhh so well with the little Gargoyle statue! lol

Just an update...

Sat 4-21-2007

Temp - 78 (1st time this thing has strayed from 76ish)
SG - 1.0225
pH - 8.4
NH3 - 8.0ppm
NO2 - 2.0ppm
NO3 - 80ppm
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dcp_2514_180.jpg (61.7 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg dcp_2513_147.jpg (46.1 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg dcp_2512_545.jpg (44.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg dcp_2511_225.jpg (53.6 KB, 43 views)
Old 04-22-2007, 02:30 AM   #47
Aquarium Advice Addict

I know everyone says not to do water changes during your cycle... but knowing what I know now, I'd do a 50% water change with those water parameters. I wouldn't run right out and do it until you get some other more knowledgeable folks chiming in, but I just thought I'd bring it up.

My thinking is that by the time you get done with your cycle, your nitrates are going to be sky high, if you're at 80 right now - and it's going to take a bunch of water changes (a BUNCH) to get them down to a reasonable level. At 8ppm, you have way more ammonia than you need to keep the cycle going, and maybe even too much. If you do a 50% water change, you cut all your readings in half... which would still make for reasonable parameters for someone cycling a tank.

Anyone else think the same, or is it just me?
Old 04-23-2007, 10:23 AM   #48
Aquarium Advice Activist

Yeah - They are in fact really high. I think I will do another test just to make sure I didnt fubar something up. I am actually in Denver on a business trip right now but I will be back Thursday...
Old 04-23-2007, 03:41 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice Addict

I think a PWC is necessary, otherwise the ammonia is going to kill off the life on the LR. When curing or cycling w/ LR ammonia should not be allowed to go above about 3, in order to not destroy the life. Doing PWC's will prolong the cycle, but if it preserves the diversity of life on the rock, it's well worth it.
Old 04-27-2007, 03:01 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Activist

Did a 10% water change this morning...

I should have tested the water right before I did the water change.... What do you suppose these numbers suggest? I am now starting to see some traces of this green slime stuff on some of my rocks.

Temp - 72
SG - 1.0205
pH - 8.4
NH3 - 0.5ppm
NO2 - 2.0ppm
NO3 - 5.0ppm

Ohh - Also I have been finding it extremely difficult to regulate the salinity. I can seem to mix a bucket of solution the same to save my life. Is this due to the small portions (5 gallons) I am doing them in? I have a 6 gallon bucket I drop a power head into and then add all the water and the salt. It seams when I put the 1/2 cup of salt per gallon it always comes up too salty. Then I am forced to try and regulate it in the tank which sucks... Any suggestions or (Procedures) to follow in terms of regulating salinity?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com