Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2007, 08:39 PM   #71
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to roka64 Send a message via Yahoo to roka64
Yep Selcon and Zoe , great stuff.

Questions loved, heeded advice greatly appreciated!

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
roka64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2007, 09:27 PM   #72
Aquarium Advice Addict

Get Selcon if you can. Many others don't have as much, if any, HUFA's. As far as feeding goes, blender mush will generally sink as will most frozen food IME. Most of the time it's eaten before it reaches the bottom though. Clowns are going to be most interested in floating food pieces. Getting rid of food on the sand is where your clean up crew comes in. I feed what my fish consume within a few seconds. I add a little food, it's eaten in a few seconds, then I add a little more. I do that 2-3 times each feeding and I feed twice a day. HTH

Old 05-04-2007, 10:22 PM   #73
AA Team Emeritus

I agree with the sinking, most of my food is eaten before it settles, the clean up crew takes care of the rest.

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-05-2007, 11:19 AM   #74
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via AIM to surjer Send a message via Yahoo to surjer
I might just stay away from the firefish because if I switch lighting to the higher powered lights I will no longer be using the hood. Therefore the tank water would be exposed and I have gathered covering your tank can lead to PH problems. .

Well, We have decided to just get a yellow tail damsel. The wife says there is no way I am putting a 20+ dollar fish in as my 1st fish. She said if I can keep the Damsel alive for a while I can take him back to the fish store and get something different in a couple months or so. For right now its just damsels and turbo snails.
Old 05-05-2007, 05:23 PM   #75
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just be sure you know damsels can be very aggressive. If/when you add fish in the future, it will more than likely have to be removed. It can be a real chore to catch a damsel in a tank w/ LR. If you cycled correctly and acclimate the fish correctly there really should not be any issues w/ water quality/fish health- and we are here to help if thre is. HTH and good luck.
BTW if your keeping snails alive, fish should not be a problem. Fish are generally more tolerant of less than ideal water chemistry than snails and other inverts.
Old 05-05-2007, 06:42 PM   #76
Aquarium Advice Addict

Y/T damsels are nasty fish.. I listened to the LFS when I set up my tank and put 7 in and any small fish after that got there *** kicked. I am down to 2 and they still kill fish on me. I just put in a Yellow assessor and I have only seen it 2 times, I think the YT Devils are keeping him in the rocks. No way to catch the YT in a 125 tank with LR.. Wish I never listened to the LFS>

TANK PICS http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=98202
seaham358 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2007, 03:00 PM   #77
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well I see what you guys mean about not being able to catch them. I dripped them in a bucket last night for about an hour and then dropped em in the tank. As soon as they got into the tank they hid in the LR. I mean HID in it. I couldnt find them lol. I also added 2 Turbo snails 2 serith snails an emerald crab and 2 hermit crabs. This morning when I woke up I fed them a little bit of flake and they all came out to eat. They are really pretty fish

1 X Yellow Tail Damsel
1 X Zebra looking Damsel
1 X Domino Damsel

I really like the looks of these fish. They are really fun to watch!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:10 AM   #78
Aquarium Advice Activist

Do I need to feed the snails anything? The emerald crab seams to hang out on the rocks and pick them apart. But the snails made there way off the rocks and have attached themselves to the glass and made there way to the top of the tank and just hang out up top.. I would think they would want to be at te bottom of the tank but I guess not?
Old 05-07-2007, 11:15 AM   #79
AA Team Emeritus

The snails will help eat what the other fish don't and tend to like to eat the algea off of the glass. The "Zebra looking Damsel" is probably a striped damsel. How many black stripes?

Vote for AA
Good reading about:
Nitrogen Cycle
Fishless Cycling
Need more help?
Articles
Acronym List

--Scott
Old 05-07-2007, 11:38 AM   #80
Aquarium Advice Activist

I cant recall exactly but I am thinking two black stripes.. They are all pretty small fish,..

Tags
started, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com