New Tank started by a n00b

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

surjer

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well, you guys have helped me TONS with my fw tank so here goes with the new sw tank. I have just a 20gal tank that I started up last night. I bought this live sand stuff for my substraight and then filled the tank with sw. Once I added the water it stured up the sand and made a nice muddy mess. The tank has not calmed down at all. My fresh water tank did this because I added too many fish all at the same time and created a bacteria bloom. I am wondering if the new sw tank is experiencing the same backteria bloom. My real question is should I have something in the tank like some shrimp or lr during this process? I wouldnt think so but I would hate to waste a cycle if thats what its doing.

Sorry guys, I am VERY VERY new to sw and I really have no idea what I am doing. Thats why I am not investing in the big tank yet. I figured I could torture this 20 gallon for a bit... (NO FISH YET) I heard it can take up to 2-3 months to stabalize the sw tank...

Thanks in advance...

Jerry

surjer said:
Well, you guys have helped me TONS with my fw tank so here goes with the new sw tank. I have just a 20gal tank that I started up last night. I bought this live sand stuff for my substraight and then filled the tank with sw. Once I added the water it stured up the sand and made a nice muddy mess. The tank has not calmed down at all. My fresh water tank did this because I added too many fish all at the same time and created a bacteria bloom. I am wondering if the new sw tank is experiencing the same backteria bloom. My real question is should I have something in the tank like some shrimp or lr during this process? I wouldnt think so but I would hate to waste a cycle if thats what its doing.

Sorry guys, I am VERY VERY new to sw and I really have no idea what I am doing. Thats why I am not investing in the big tank yet. I figured I could torture this 20 gallon for a bit... (NO FISH YET) I heard it can take up to 2-3 months to stabalize the sw tank...

Thanks in advance...

Jerry
Yes you will need something to fuel the die off that will set your cycle into motion .
The reason your tank is cloudy is because the sand hasnt calmed down and settled. Running a filter will help get the smaller pieces that refuse to settle down and help clear the water .
You will want live rock this will give you surface for biological matter to breed and will also give you some die off to begin your cycle ... The smaller tank that you have started with will require you to pay attention to smallest of details , weekly water changes , testing ect. It can take up to a year for a tank to fully mature and to stablize . In salt water less is more on the fish front ....Start to cycle your tank and while it is cycling start to read every thing you can so that you better understand and are more prepared for the things that will come up
understanding the nano

I agree with the above. I would get a test kit, that tests for ammonia, nitrIte and nitrAtes. You can also throw in a single raw and unseasoned jumbo shrimp, to provide the ammonia source, which will kick start your cycle.

You may want to read this- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/article_view.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

That Bagged LS, IMO/IME, will not do very much to kick start or aid the cycle. You'll need to add a source of ammonia and allow a good bacteria population to form on the sand, base rock and/or LR. If you add LR, sometimes the die off from it will kick start the cycle. But monitor ammonia/nitrite, and do PWC's accordingly so it's doesn't kill off all the life on the rock. That may prolong the cycle time some, but is well worth it in the end.

That is a good article that Mike gave you. IMO LR and a skimmer is all you need for proper filtration.

Sweetness - thanks guys. I went and picked up 2lbs of live rock last night and added 1 jumbo shrimp (Raw and Unseasoned) - The guy at the store was like - Are you trying to cycle a new tank? haha...

The guy at the grocery store? That's funny.

surjer said:
Sweetness - thanks guys. I went and picked up 2lbs of live rock last night and added 1 jumbo shrimp (Raw and Unseasoned) - The guy at the store was like - Are you trying to cycle a new tank? haha...

Not sure if that was a typo, but 2 lbs isn't going to do much. Maybe you meant to type 20 lbs!? The normal recommendation is about 1.5 lbs per gallon of tank.

IMO LR and a skimmer is all you need for proper filtration
I agree. With 1.5-2lbs/gal of LR, agressive skimming and a couple of powerheads for movement your filtration needs should be taken care of. The addition of a HOB filter is an option, however, I would eliminate any "biological" media within the filter. You can use it for mechanical filtration and chemical filtration as needed.

BTW...welcome to the salty side!

Jmm - I have a HOB filter running with the BIO rocks in it. Its an AquaClear 50. I also have a PowerHear which is AquaClear20. I did put only 2lbs of LR in it as its pretty expensive. Probably get some more next pay check in a couple weeks. I tested all the stuff and this thing is going nutty. Amonia is really high at like 3.0ppm. PH is @ 8.4. Gravity is at 1.022. And temp is at 74Deg Farenheit....

When should I take that shrimp out?

Here are some pix of it as it sits right now...

Attachments

• copy_of_s3600002_209.jpg
    copy_of_s3600002_209.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 30
  • copy_of_s3600003_157.jpg
    copy_of_s3600003_157.jpg
    186.8 KB · Views: 35
  • copy_of_s3600004_160.jpg
    copy_of_s3600004_160.jpg
    189.5 KB · Views: 35
I'd take the shrimp out at this point. 3.0ppm ammonia is just dandy to get your cycle going. From my experience, if it goes too high it can slow the cycle down - but not harm anything. If you don't have a nitrite or nitrate test kit yet, now's the time to get it. After a week or two, you should see your nitrites start to go up. At the same time, or shortly after, your ammonia will start to decrease. After your nitrites have peaked and start coming down - or at least not going up anymore - you should start to see some nitrates. As far as you current water parameters go, nothing looks "nutty"... just normal for a cycling tank. Expect to see the pH vary a bit as the cycle continues.

Also... you don't really need the bubbler for a saltwater tank. Oxygen is absorbed at the surface, assuming you at least have some surface ripple going on. And with a HOB, you probably have enough surface ripple as it is. If you like the looks of it, cool - but you don't need it.

I agree with Kurt. I would take out the airstones, you don't need them and will probably end up constantly getting clogged.

I really like the airstones so I am going to leave them in for the moment. If they get to be high maintnance I will figure something else out. If I take off the HOB filter then I have no filter at all hooked up..???

You can get away without a filter, if you have about 1.5-2 Lbs of rock per gallon and a skimmer. I have a canister filter on my 55G, just to run purigen.

Hmm - Guess I should really look into getting a skimmer then. The only skimmer setup I have ever scene was at the LFS and it was this huge nasty bubling thing on the side of the tank. Can it be hidden? Where can I find pictures of small tanks with skimmers?

I don't have a skimmer for my 125 yet, so I am no help there. I believe Bak-pac makes a HOB skimmer. I know austinsdad has one or two used ones, he is trying to get rid of. You may want to PM him.

Here are my test results as of last night

temp - 74
SG - 1.0215 (ppt 29)
pH - 8.3
NH3 - 2.0 ppm
NO2 - 1.0 ppm
NO3 - 10 ppm

Back
Top Bottom