Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-29-2004, 11:15 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to jaiden
new tank, strange cycle

I started a fishless cycle with bare rock and dry sand about 2 weeks ago. I can still see the two medium sized shrimp in the tank, though they're falling apart somewhat

It's 1.025, 75 deg

I've got one of the little stick on "Lil alert mates" which I've been using to keep an eye on the ammonia. It has been in the "green" range since the day after I put the shrimp in

according to the site:
"As little as 0.02 mg/L of free ammonia will produce a greenish hue on the detector surface. This corresponds to a total ammonia (both ionized and free ammonia) of 0.25 mg/L in marine water at pH 8.3. "

I figured I'd have to wait a few weeks, so I haven't been using any real test kits yet.

TODAY, the sensor went yellow, which is the safe range.

Does this mean the ammonia stage in the cycle is done? How can that be if there's still two big chunks of shrimp in the tank?

What should I do now?

is 75 degrees OK?

Should I be testing for pH yet? I have aragonite sand and rock,so I figured it wouldn't be too low, but I'm not sure..

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Fluorite Black sand and gravel
jaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
AA Team Emeritus

I'd recommend better testing equipment. Did the ammonia ever spike? Nitrites?

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:35 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

ammonia never went into the blue "toxic" range on the scale.

I do have real test kits, I just thought it would be silly to waste test kits while I already knew what was happening...

Should I just wait for the shrimp to totally disappear, and then start testing for real?

Red tiger lilly, Rotala Indica, Sagittaria Subulata, Micro Sword, Cardinal Plant
Old 10-29-2004, 11:47 AM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Maybe others ould tell you about those test strips vs. "real" tests. I've never used them, so I may be off target with my suggestion. Just seems like you may not have cycled if the ammonia and nitites never spiked IMO.

"Life may not be the party we hoped for but while we are here we might as well dance!"

austinsdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 11:51 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Yeah, I knew it wouldn't be accurate, but you can just leave this thing in the tank and peek at it every now and then.. not a substitute, I know, but there's nothing alive in the tank right now, so I don't need anything fancy.

How can the ammonia be done if there are still chunks of shrimp rotting in the tank?

Old 10-29-2004, 12:33 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would give it another week or 2 to be on the safe side. You could bring your water to the LFS and have them test it to see if you get the same readings.

Mike
Old 10-29-2004, 12:39 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

is 75 degrees ok, or should I increase it? will it speed up the cycle?

Old 10-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

I keep mine at 78 degrees. I'm not sure if it will speed up the cycle, but it is a more consistent temperature in my house. Plus, my lights heat it up a degree or 2 as well.

Tags
cycle, strange, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com