Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New tank stress?

I recently purchased a much-needed 50gal for my oscar. I set up the tank and let it cycle with the lights on for 4 days. I even went as far as matching the temp to the temp of his old tank. However, when I put him in he just hid behind an airline and when he finally did come out, he was swimming sideways and started to go belly-up. I couldn't stand to see this behavior so I tossed him back in his old tank where he chirped right back up to his normal behavior and was eating out of my hands within an hour.

What did I do wrong? Is there something wrong with the new tank or is he just scared of the new environment? I've heard that stress is the number one killer of fish, so I don't want to stress the little guy out and possibly kill him. He's pretty violent when i try to get him in a net so I don't want to do this again unless its successful.

Old 07-11-2006, 03:43 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
well first of all it takes longer then four days to cycle the tank.
the only way to speed it up and make it cycle fast (fishless that is) is to take some filter media and add it to the tank and put a good percentage of old tank water in the new tank.
im not sure what could be wrong.
but just thought i would let u know about the cycle

Old 07-11-2006, 04:43 AM   #3

so how long does it take without fish?

the old tank is only 10 gal, so the best i can do is drain it....and if there's still something wrong, then I'm totally screwed and have no place to put him....

on the flip side, he needs to get into this tank ASAP because of his size and the fact that im tired of cleaning the 10gal every day.
Old 07-11-2006, 08:45 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to rich311k
If you move the old filter to the new tank along with the fish and maybe some of the gravel, you should be pretty much cycleless. Since the filter on the ten is prepared for his bioload and that wont change just because you moved him. After a mointh or so you can turnoff the old filter and just use the new one. The water won't help so don't bother moving it.
Old 07-11-2006, 02:26 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Ky'smommy Send a message via MSN to Ky'smommy Send a message via Yahoo to Ky'smommy
wont the water help make him more adapt the the water conditions. to keep him less strees because its would be almost like what he was in?
Old 07-11-2006, 02:29 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Maybe, but if it is in the same house, I would imagine it is not much different that the tap water. So why bother moving dirty water?
Old 07-11-2006, 03:11 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

yah very true. i just thought cause he didnt want him stressed again.
but ten to fifty is a big gap anyways. so it wont do any help
Old 07-11-2006, 05:26 PM   #8

thanks for the advice guys!

i've moved a few of his favorite decorations over to the new tank hoping that it will introduce some of the bacteria and such and help make it feel more like home.

using the old filter seems like a great idea, but i've got a few questions.

should i move the old filter at the same time i move him or put it in there and let it run for a few hours? if so, will he and his tankmates (a pleco and an albino frog) be okay in the old tank for a few hours without a filter running? I was going to leave the pleco in the 10 gal for a few days after I moved the other two to make sure there would be enough algae buildup for him to stay fed, but I suppose I could just go buy some algae flakes if I'm going to try this method.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:30 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, if you do it move everything at once. The pleco will be much better off in the new tank.
Old 07-11-2006, 05:46 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Re: New tank stress?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnBallenger
I recently purchased a much-needed 50gal for my oscar. I set up the tank and let it cycle with the lights on for 4 days. I even went as far as matching the temp to the temp of his old tank. However, when I put him in he just hid behind an airline and when he finally did come out, he was swimming sideways and started to go belly-up. I couldn't stand to see this behavior so I tossed him back in his old tank where he chirped right back up to his normal behavior and was eating out of my hands within an hour.

What did I do wrong? Is there something wrong with the new tank or is he just scared of the new environment? I've heard that stress is the number one killer of fish, so I don't want to stress the little guy out and possibly kill him. He's pretty violent when i try to get him in a net so I don't want to do this again unless its successful.
That's really weird. I agree the tank probably isn't fully cycled but it shouldn't have had that immediate affect on your oscar. Did you use water conditioner? There must be something either chloramines or some toxin that would cause him to react badly so fast. At least it sounds from your post like the reaction was fast. How long was he in there hiding before looking bad and going belly up?

Tags
stress, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com