New tank Supplies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SharkMan

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was hoping to get a little help. I need to get two new powerheads for my new aquarium. I have a 168 gallon tank 60 1/2"x25"x26", what do you recommend? I was going to get two and point them at each other. Also what do you recommend for thermometers? Also what is the best test kit for FOWLR? Thanks.

I would point them up a little to provide surface aggitation that will keep your tank oxygenated and good gas exchange which will provide good PH

What brands and models do you recommend for this tank?

Not much of an expert on that Shark but others will be on to let you know. I dont have any PH in my tank. I have all the water movement I need from my returns from my sump/fuge

tell us a little more about the tank.. sump, wet/dry, HOB, LR how much.. If a sump what is the flow on the return pump.. FOWLR tanks dont need a ton of flow..

thermos I got a indoor out door one at radio shace for 15 bucks and its works great.. Walmart has them also..

I am acctually buying it this saturday. It is a 168 gallon glass tank with wet\dry filter with dual hang on the back overflows. A new unopened red sea berlin protein skimmer. I don't know what kind of theromo or powerheads it comes with. It is only three months old. I am planning on adding my personal touch to the tank and I am up for suggestions. Thanks.

For that large of a tank I would only consider these two:
Seio Super Pump (cheap and low watts but should not be put on a controller)
Tunze Turbelle (more expensive but considered “the best” by many and can be put on a controller)

I use two Seio M620 pumps in my 55 gal. I would get two Seio M820 or Seio M1100 for your tank depending on sump pump gph. If going with the Tunze the 6060 should be fine.

There are plenty of other ph on the market but the 300 or less gph they output would require a lot of them to get the water moving well and would clutter the tank IMO. With the more powerful ph listed above you should only need two. Pointing them upwards and at each other or at a central spot on the glass will help create good oxygen exchange and convulsing currents.

For thermometers it depends on how much you want to spend. The Vertical strip or floating glass thermometers run $2-$3. Personally I use the Coralife Digital Thermometer which costs $8 at my lfs.

Back
Top Bottom