new tank syndrome???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crook280

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
hi. i don't know if you remember my post about a week ago about my new setup, but i but seem to be having a brown algea problem. it is on the cc and rocks. i checked everything and everything is 0 (nitrate, nitrite, ammonia, phosphate), pH is 8.4, and my salinity is about 1.021 (probably going to bring this up a bit). could i not have enough water movement? or would it be from using a new tank? i did take out a lot of the cc, that i will change to sand when i have enough $$$. i'm a little stumped, please help. thanks again

all new tanks have brown diatom it usually ends they say in about 2 weeks or so nothing to worry about

well the only thing that is new is the glass tank itself. i have the fish, inverts, corals and everything that a took out of the undrilled tank and put in the drilled tank. i figured it would be alright but i didn't want to take any chances. thanks for the quick reply

i changed tanks last weekend. but before i did that i started seeing the diatom algea show up in my established tank. this is why i'm stumped.

are you using ro/di water or tap? alot of members use ro/di water because some city tap water is a source of phosphates

When you stir up an established tank (especially by moving it from one tank to another), you are apt to see a mini-cycle, which seems like what you are experiencing.

You were probably starting to get excess nutrients in your old tank. When you moved it just stirred it up as Andy suggested. Best thing it to do a few WC's with good RO/DI water to remove the nutrients.

i use the water at walmart (.33 per gal), i think it's just RO not sure. i want to get one of the RO/DI filters from melev's website, are they good? but i need the money and don't know if i wouldbe able to set it up in an apartment. anyways i wasn't too worried, just trying to see if i did something wrong and need to fix it. thanks everyone

i talked to someone about my problem and they suggested that my PC lights are probably old. She said i should replace them about every 7 months or so. they've been running for a year now. could that be the culprite? my corals aren't looking so good either. i ordered another bulb. is that as often as i should replace them? thanks

Back
Top Bottom