Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-31-2006, 10:04 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to princess4880
I assume it is crushed coral also definitely not sand. Tried siphon gravel cleaner from Walmart and can't get it to work right any suggestions on a good one?

Might it be easier to start new water as to have taken on this old one that has been let go for over a month?

Old 03-31-2006, 10:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Have you ever used a siphon before? They can take a little getting used to.

Here's a method I used to get my siphon to work...first of all, make sure the bucket you are siphoning the water into is BELOW your tank, not level with it...place the bucket on the floor, let gravity help you. Place the large end of the siphon completely under water, and then turn it so that the large end of the siphon is pointing UP (make sure the large end of the siphon is completely underwater the whole time)...allow any air bubbles to completely leave and float to the top. Then turn the siphon DOWN and if water does not start moving through, put your lips on the end of the siphon and suck for just a second...this should start the water siphoning through.

If you do this and it does not work, take the siphon out of the water, and hold the entire siphon by the middle of the hose, and dump both ends out at the same time...once the siphon is completely empty of water, try the above again. This method has always worked for me.

I hope that was clear, and didn't leave you ever more confused...I'm not sure what you mean by "start with new water." Do you mean starting with a new tank or changing out 100% of the water in your current one? I would not recommend either of these options. You have to remember that if your fish are still alive, they have grown accustomed to the water in the tank. A massive and rapid water change (even if it is a good change) is stressful for fish. Unless your ammonia and nitrite levels are so high that the fish will die, I would recommend keeping up with your partial water changes to bring the levels down. Remember, the water is not the problem, it is what is in the water creating the problem....

Paul

46 Gallon (Saltwater): 60 pounds Lalo Live Rock, 60 pounds aragonite sand, 1 Coral Beauty Angelfish, 1 Peppermint Shrimp, 1 Mushroom Coral, 1 Emerald Crab, various snails and hermit crabs.

10 Gallon (Saltwater quarantine):
pkremer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2006, 01:43 PM   #13

Clownfish aquarium levels

Thank you for the help I think I am on the upside of the water problem I hope. Only thing high this morning is the nitrate so I am going to test again to make sure I did it correct and then if still high try 10% pwc this time. How hard is it to take care of an anemone? Should I get one for the clownfish later on once water stays good or is there something else I should get first. Is there anything you can put in water to help keep levels good once I get them stable?

04/06/06 Got better filter w/biowheel & test kit. Levels are now nitrite and nitrate are 0, ph 8.3-8.4, alkalinity is high 2.9-3.6 (3.0), ammonia is still .5 have put some ammo-lock in twice to try and help ammonia. Any other suggestions that I need to do before I can add more fish. Still doing water changes, also are these levels good for clownfish?
Old 04-06-2006, 06:53 PM   #14

I Got a better filter w/biowheel & test kit. Levels are now nitrite and nitrate are 0, ph 8.3-8.4, alkalinity is high 2.9-3.6 (3.0), ammonia is still .5 have put some ammo-lock in twice to try and help ammonia. Any other suggestions that I need to do before I can add more fish. Still doing water changes, also are these levels good for clownfish?
Old 04-06-2006, 07:03 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Alk is not high. What is the CA reading? Are you sure your NH3 test is giving accurate results? By now it should have dropped and you would have a slight NO2 reading if anything. Run a test on the NH3 test by testing some distilled water.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:07 PM   #16

What kind of test for the ca my kit does not have it? Not certain about test, but the nitrate just went to 0 today, nitrite went yesterday NH3 was .5 yesterday and 1 day before.
Old 04-06-2006, 07:50 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

Clarification: If this is FO tank then CA is really not important to you. The reason I asked was due to your alk level. Salifert CA test IMO are the best. What kind of test are you using? NO2 and NO3 levels disappearing over night does not make sense. I also think your NH3 reading is incorrect. At least I hope it is.
Old 04-06-2006, 08:45 PM   #18

Finally got gravel siphon working correctly and changed filter system completely from whisper to a penguin 200 bio-wheel I think is the reason for the big change in levels. Test is Red Sea Marine Lab. How do I check to see if NH3 test is correct? As I said before this tank was passed on and he had not done anything with it in over a month plus his wife got on meth while he was in Iraq at war so who knows how long it had bad levels, salt was really low when we got it.
Old 04-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #19

Still having big problems with total ammonia it is now at 2.5 temp 79 ph 8.3 nitrite & nitrate 0 alk high. Could it be the crushed coral substrate causing the problem now? Have done water changes day after day cleaning substrate everytime. Did bottle water test on ammonia and it read good. Also lfs had me put ammo lock in it and ever since seems to be getting higher.
What is a good powerhead for 30 gal?

Thanks
Nickie
Old 04-09-2006, 04:45 PM   #20

Levels today are NH3/NH4 = 5
Temp 79
PH 8.2
Alk- High (2.9-3.6)
NO3=5
NO2=.1

Also have noticed a type of algae ( I guess thats what it is) growing on decorations and side of tank today. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

What would happen if I take out all the crushed coral but a little? Maybe this would let me know if that is my problem or not.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com