Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 04-12-2006, 10:21 PM   #31
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to princess4880
Unfortunately still in it right now trying to get another tank. They seem to be doing okay considering. I have seen no change in there behavior or breathing except seems like they like the sand much better. Well gotta go try and get water tested.
Oh yeah if something does happen and one dies what do I need to do?

princess4880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 10:24 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via Yahoo to Melissamustang
Get the fish out

525 Salt water "Zoo"

Tell someone how you feel….Make a sweet comment and it will always make you feel good as well!
Melissamustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 09:35 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Send a message via MSN to princess4880
Need advice!!!
Levels are now much better
Ammonia .25
Nitrate 50
Nitrite .5
PH 8.2-8.3
ALK High
must have put it back in cycle moving tank and cleaning too much although levels have been really high fish seem to be doing great. Where can I see pictures of ick and stuff like that so I know what to look for on the fish?

When can I get a clean up crew to help clean up brown stuff(from other posts think this must be the diatom that is talked about) on rocks and glass??? Where is good place to get crew from? Also need suggestions of how many of clean up crew and what to get(shrimp, crabs, etc..)

Also is it 1.5 lbs live rock per gallon water?

How long does it take to setup 10 gallon qt tank? Also can I use water from pwc of main tank for qt tank once levels are great?

Also what size powerhead and how many for 30 gallon tank? Also what about lighting? (have a 30w natural glo bulb right now)
princess4880 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 07:21 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Freak
IMO you are doing too much to your tank all at once. There are too many things that can cause a tank to cycle, move, changing substrate, dead fish etc.... Cutting back on the feeding was a good start and doing the water changes is another. Have you tried testing your top off water and your WC water before adding it to the tank? Do you have an RO/DO unit or are you using straight tap water? How long was the tank set up before it was moved? Tanks left uncared for usually have high salinity due to evaporation not low as you mentioned so I am guessing someone was topping off without testing or doing water changes without testing salinity. Are you testing all levels around the same times of the day? The PH in a tank changes with the light cycle. Keeping smaller tanks stable can be a challenge due to any small change in chemistry can have a major impact to the tank. Whereas a large tank any small change is just that due to the large volume of water. Also you mentioned the decor in the tank so I have to ask do you have fake corals or decor in the tank? And finally the algae bloom is a natural part of the cycling process. Continue with the water changes (best weekly or every three days at most) to bring your levels in line and I wouldn't do more than 25% at this point. Just my 2 cents.

angelscrx is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com