New tank transfer!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dimdim

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So im going to be buying a new fish tank today, 75 gallons, with a sump. I want to transfer all of my current 39 gallon over. Could i just mix up some new saltwater put it in, then put some sand in, and once it clears could i start pulling my liverock and everything out of my tank? If its at all possible to re use my sand id love to !

Your plans just fine although with your old sand, depending on how old your tanks is, dsb or not, and substrate maintenance, I would wash your old sand before reusing it (won't be live afterwards but better to rid it of all the built up detritus).

Sweet! My tank is just over 3 months old, im going to setup a transfer holding tank for two days while the sand settles. I will be buying another 30 or 40 lbs as well same with liverock

Just be sure to monitor your parameters for a week or two with a water change on standby.

Of course. I wont be setting it up for a bit due to cash constraints

Lol all i really need is some sand and im good to go might need some new lights down the road

Just got my tank! Its actually amazing! The guy gave me brand new part a and b ionic dosing jugs and kents magnesium pro x or something and a new hydrometer and hagen test kits all for 20 bucks on top of the tank price everything was made in 2010 marineland return pump at 1175 gph pics soon :)

If you want to use your old sand here's how i did it Fill a 5gl pail 2/3rd full with old sand top off with old salt water mix the crap out of it most of the detritus will float to the top dump it off and refill and mix keep this up until mostly clear then pour into the new tank make sure there's enough new salt water to cover the sand lot of work but it did save my live sand Easy way is save a few cups of the old sand then rinse the rest with fresh water use the saved sand to reseed the clean sand bed.

Alright thanks for the tip! I have a marineland tidepool 2 model 2 sump and i cleaned it up almost looks brand new, i took the biowheel out i want to run some egg crate in one compartment for a fuge, and possibly a in sump skimmer that can operate a low water level around 6 inches?

Check out the tidepool 2 sump its the biowheel one i took out the wheel, its clear acrylic as well, might just go with a big refugium

So i picked up 40 lbs select size aragonite and 8 lbs of dry reef rock ! Cant wait to get it all running im filling it up as we speak, i also picked up another 200 watt submersible heater !

Back
Top Bottom