Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

New tank+water+salt = cloudy for 3 days?

Just starting the new 90 gal sw tank (new to me). Filled it with water, added salt (monday night). Turned on two power heads, and I apparently have 90 gallons of milk. Now its wednesday and it is still cloudy. Apparently I added the salt too fast. I have read that this is most likely "calcium percipitation." Trouble is, everything I read tells me this is the problem, but none of what I read tells me what to do about it. Would be great if I knew what to do next. Planning on grabbing sand and rock soon, but would rather be able to see the tank better. Help me I am lost!

Oh, incase this matters, my heater apparently no longer works. Getting a new one friday, amongst other things (payday)!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 09-28-2011, 11:30 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4wheels
Just starting the new 90 gal sw tank (new to me). Filled it with water, added salt (monday night). Turned on two power heads, and I apparently have 90 gallons of milk. Now its wednesday and it is still cloudy. Apparently I added the salt too fast. I have read that this is most likely "calcium percipitation." Trouble is, everything I read tells me this is the problem, but none of what I read tells me what to do about it. Would be great if I knew what to do next. Planning on grabbing sand and rock soon, but would rather be able to see the tank better. Help me I am lost!

Oh, incase this matters, my heater apparently no longer works. Getting a new one friday, amongst other things (payday)!

Thanks for the help in advance!
What are you using for filtration?

Old 09-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

are you using sand?
Old 09-28-2011, 11:37 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Just set up a canister today (i know, will have two, and clean one out a week, can't fit a fuge underneath, so I am making a hob fuge for macro). Planning on adding live rock (ordering base online friday and buying live locally) and I have live sand to add asap.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:39 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

As of now, its just water, salt, two power heads, and a canister I just turned on today. No sand yet.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:40 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wings4wheels
As of now, its just water, salt, two power heads, and a canister I just turned on today. No sand yet.
The canister will help clear ur tank, but it'll take a couple of days.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guys, love the speedy replies. This is a great sure! I will wait it out.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:44 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Just keep ur thread updated and trust me, there are plenty of ppl here willing to help u out.
Old 09-28-2011, 11:50 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Awesome, I will set up the other canister tomorrow and stuff some real fine floss in there to polish it up.
Old 10-02-2011, 11:48 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Okay, apparently the live sand that I added contains clay (actually found clumps if it in the sand) which is contributing to the cloudiness. 100% poly- floss helps, but its not fine enough to get it clear. What can I stuff in the filters to clear it up?

Thanks

Tags
cloud, cloudy, salt, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com