New tank+water+salt = cloudy for 3 days?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wings4wheels

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just starting the new 90 gal sw tank (new to me). Filled it with water, added salt (monday night). Turned on two power heads, and I apparently have 90 gallons of milk. Now its wednesday and it is still cloudy. Apparently I added the salt too fast. I have read that this is most likely "calcium percipitation." Trouble is, everything I read tells me this is the problem, but none of what I read tells me what to do about it. Would be great if I knew what to do next. Planning on grabbing sand and rock soon, but would rather be able to see the tank better. Help me I am lost!

Oh, incase this matters, my heater apparently no longer works. Getting a new one friday, amongst other things (payday)!

Thanks for the help in advance!

Wings4wheels said:
Just starting the new 90 gal sw tank (new to me). Filled it with water, added salt (monday night). Turned on two power heads, and I apparently have 90 gallons of milk. Now its wednesday and it is still cloudy. Apparently I added the salt too fast. I have read that this is most likely "calcium percipitation." Trouble is, everything I read tells me this is the problem, but none of what I read tells me what to do about it. Would be great if I knew what to do next. Planning on grabbing sand and rock soon, but would rather be able to see the tank better. Help me I am lost!

Oh, incase this matters, my heater apparently no longer works. Getting a new one friday, amongst other things (payday)!

Thanks for the help in advance!

What are you using for filtration?

Just set up a canister today (i know, will have two, and clean one out a week, can't fit a fuge underneath, so I am making a hob fuge for macro). Planning on adding live rock (ordering base online friday and buying live locally) and I have live sand to add asap.

As of now, its just water, salt, two power heads, and a canister I just turned on today. No sand yet.

Wings4wheels said:
As of now, its just water, salt, two power heads, and a canister I just turned on today. No sand yet.

The canister will help clear ur tank, but it'll take a couple of days.

Thanks guys, love the speedy replies. This is a great sure! I will wait it out.

Just keep ur thread updated and trust me, there are plenty of ppl here willing to help u out.

Awesome, I will set up the other canister tomorrow and stuff some real fine floss in there to polish it up.

Okay, apparently the live sand that I added contains clay (actually found clumps if it in the sand) which is contributing to the cloudiness. 100% poly- floss helps, but its not fine enough to get it clear. What can I stuff in the filters to clear it up?

Thanks

Time is really the best way to handle the cloudiness. If you just added your sand, it can take a couple days to have it all settle.

same problem a little different

Hello everyone i joined this website because it seems like everyone is rather helpful even when your new to the whole thing which i appreciate. Quick question and sorry to leach off this guys thread, but it pertains to cloudiness. Last thursday i added salt and water to the tank and added live sand. Ever since then my tank has been extremelly cloudy to the point where i can't see an inch in. I have tried googling and looking but i can't find anything or i get contradictory answers. Should i leave my filter on to clear up the fine sand particles or should i turn off everything and let it all settle. Also i have read that once settled bacteria will form on the live sand and keep it from stirring up again. how much of this is true and what should i do about my filter. Right now i have just a older filter with a new marineland biowheel filter coming in the mail as we speak. You guys are awesome thank you for any replies.

Hello everyone i joined this website because it seems like everyone is rather helpful even when your new to the whole thing which i appreciate. Quick question and sorry to leach off this guys thread, but it pertains to cloudiness. Last thursday i added salt and water to the tank and added live sand. Ever since then my tank has been extremelly cloudy to the point where i can't see an inch in. I have tried googling and looking but i can't find anything or i get contradictory answers. Should i leave my filter on to clear up the fine sand particles or should i turn off everything and let it all settle. Also i have read that once settled bacteria will form on the live sand and keep it from stirring up again. how much of this is true and what should i do about my filter. Right now i have just a older filter with a new marineland biowheel filter coming in the mail as we speak. You guys are awesome thank you for any replies.

Welcome to AA! As for the cloudiness in your tank, what kind of sand do you have? Did you wash your sand prior to placing it in the tank? (If live sand, do not wash, but all other types should have been washed)

hey thanks for the fast response, the sand i used was actual live sand, and i did not wash it. as for water, i used just tap water with instant ocean salt, I added water/ then added little by little salt until i got 1.024 (easier to add salt then lower the salt level in my opinon) after i let all the salt dissolve i added my live sand. I ran my filter for about 3 days with no luck, i turned the filter off for a day or two and it acted like it was clearing up but then i keep reading leave filter on. so i turned it back on lol. Is one way better than another. My thinking is if i leave the filter off and it all settle won't it just kick right back up when i turn my filter back on and start using my powerhead? whats the best way to get the sand to settle and keep it settled? thanks again for you quick response. Last year I owned a 125 gallon setup but used crushed coral before having to sell it due to financial issues so i have never used live sand and never had this problem. Thanks for your help :)

thanks

Welcome to AA! As for the cloudiness in your tank, what kind of sand do you have? Did you wash your sand prior to placing it in the tank? (If live sand, do not wash, but all other types should have been washed)

also some people talked about filter floss? im not sure what that is would you recommend it?

I think part of it is the use of tap water. It's always been murkier for me than when i use RODI water. Another piece of the puzzle is the mizing of the salt. Did you mix the salt and the tap water in the tank? It's really best to mix in a seperate container and let mix for at least a day prior to adding it to your DT.

also some people talked about filter floss? im not sure what that is would you recommend it?

Some folks like the filter floss as a mechanical media. Usually, in regards to cloudiness, it doesn't tend to help. It's more to remove the larger particles of junk out of your water.

Some folks like the filter floss as a mechanical media. Usually, in regards to cloudiness, it doesn't tend to help. It's more to remove the larger particles of junk out of your water.

As for mixing the salt in the tank, Yes i did do it in the tank upon initial set up, after which i planned on doing it in a 5 gallon bucket. When i used to have my 125 i had always used tap with no murkey water or anything but i didn't use ls in it i used crushed coral. Im just wondering if i should turn my filter off and let it settle or if i should let it keep running and hope that it sucks up and fine particles that are in the water. Ill have to start using the water from lfs for my water changes and see if i notice any difference in murkiness later on but for now i can't see anything because of the ls now.

You can try turning off the filter in your tank for a couple days to see if it helps with cloudiness. As long as you have some sort of circulation from your PH you should be ok.

Back
Top Bottom