Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-07-2005, 07:44 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks Captive... I will probably be ordering those in the next week or so I have to pick up my Oceanic at the LFS after it's drilled by them first. If I got the Hamilton - is there space where I can add the 3 Moon Lights similar to the Coralife? Do those kits sell on Ebay or do you sell them?

Old 01-07-2005, 09:54 PM   #12

You can find all my moonlights here. They mount anywhere near or on the tank.

http://www.captivereefs.com/captiver...sp?CatID=lt-ac

Old 01-08-2005, 05:05 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would you need a chiller with the 48' Hamilton on a 55 gallon? Would it help if I put another small fan underneath the fixture? It would be under a canopy with holes cut in the sides. Thanks, Wolf

BTW Captivereefs, thanks for helping me out with the lighting questions in December. I've decided to keep researching and reading before I decide what exactly to buy.
The Coral: zoos, kenya trees, shrooms, leathers, hammer, and star polyps
The Inverts: LT anemone, pistol shrimp, urchins, etc.
The Janitors: nassarius snails, turbos, hermits, several brittle and serpent stars
The Rock: 68# of Keys-12# Base Rock; from LR.com
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2005, 01:40 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Well - things have changed which it seems they always do in this hobby
First off - a few people on these forums gave the suggestion of going with MH (of course, I wont go any other way) and PC lighting for the fullest range of diversity on what I could keep while not going broke - suggesting the coralife kit that I was going to get from Darin (665.00 for 4')

NOW, I am not going to be going with a 4', 75g tank... I found a good deal on a 100g 5' instead. The LFS is telling me that VHO and MH are better together than PC and MH (they are always throwing people for a loop). I am also seeing that it looks like on captivereefs.com that HAMILTON is the only manaf that has 5' complete kits... I will be getting a custom canopy designed by a friend of the family - what should I do??? Listen to the obviously non-majority LFS?? Should I piece together my own MH/PC or MH/VHO kit and install the sockets and reflectors to that? Or, should I get an all-in-one and just set it on top/hang from the custom canopy that I will get? I am very handy when it comes to these things... just don't know what wattage on the DIY kits I need.

Do I get 2x175 or 250 10k on the mh's? Just basic 96w PC bulbs? Remember my tank will still be 18.5 deep... just an extra foot in length. When I peice together 2xballasts and bulbs for MH and another kit for VHO/PC - the DIY price is no cheaper. Am I doing this wrong? Hopefully Darin or someone else can point me in the right direction - or heck, directly to the kits that make it justifiable

Thanks once again!
Old 01-12-2005, 11:15 AM   #15

It is hard though to beat the Hamilton hood at $625 for 2 250 MH and 2-96 watt PC wit the cooling fans.

Sent you a more detailed PM.

Tags
light, lighting, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com