Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-05-2004, 03:41 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to UCrazyKid
New Tank, what water to use?

So, I'm starting from scratch. Can I use tap water? Do I need to filter it? Do I need to get distilled?

If I use tap, can I run it with my carbon packed Fluval to clean it for a few days? Can I then remove the carbon and add antibiotics to kill off unwanted stuff? I have a UV sterilizer too, should I run that?

This is all BEFORE adding coral/sand or anything else.

Andy

Old 10-05-2004, 04:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
use R/O (reverse osmosis) water. a good R/O unit is pretty much a nesicity for larger tanks, but like me, you can purchase water from the store to use if your tank is smaller. ( the bigger the tank, the less cost effective purchasing water becomes.)

Tap water will lead to poor water conditions and giant algea outbreaks.

I would add the sand first, but thats just me.

Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to hisc1ay Send a message via Yahoo to hisc1ay
Here's as good a place as any to ask...

I hear (read) a lot of people talking about getting RO water in the store. Where? Is it near the distilled bottled water? Maybe I'm just not looking hard enough...

-j
Old 10-05-2004, 04:23 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

R/O water would be sold in bulk, dispensed out of a machine with empty jugs for sale nearby.
Your LFS might also sell R/O water.

Tap water isn't good, aside from teh potential additions of heavy metals, tap water contains carbonate hardness...r/o water does not. You can end up with too much carbonate hardness by using tap water. Your salt mix is designed to be mixed with very soft water to achieve a proper hardness on its own.
Also, weird amounts of magnesium in tap water can cause problems with alkalinity and calcium levels.

However a large part of this boils down to: is this fish only, FOWLR, or Reef? If it's fish only, you could get by with tap water. FOWLR or Reef should go with R/O.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:24 PM   #5
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via Yahoo to Sam
You will be much better off getting your own RO unit. You will be using this for the initial fill, water changes etc. Small investment that will pay off big-time. How large is the tank you are setting up?

Me
Sam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2004, 04:28 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

I use R/O water sold in One Gallon Jugs at any wal-mart.

It is in a green capped jug and labled "spring water"

If you look at the tiny print you see it has been carbon filtered, and reversed osmosified.

The "drinkng water" in the blue capped jug adds another level of treatment that I am a bit nervous about, so I dont use it.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Old 10-05-2004, 04:31 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam
You will be much better off getting your own RO unit. You will be using this for the initial fill, water changes etc. Small investment that will pay off big-time.
The problem with that is 1. I live in an apartment, and 2. that if I save up enough for a R/O unit, I am going to spend it on a lighting upgrade, or a refractor, or more Live Rock.

If I had a big tank it would be a different story.

Old 10-05-2004, 04:51 PM   #8
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

How big is the tank??

Me
Old 10-05-2004, 05:13 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via Yahoo to UCrazyKid
Sorry, here are some more details.

it is a 60 gallon tank that I plan on setting up as FOWLR

I've got a great visual of me at the Walmart with 65 jugs of spring water.

I plan on adding the water and then adding the salt to the tank and letting the filters/powerheads do the mixing.
Old 10-05-2004, 05:17 PM   #10
Sam
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well first if you are planning to add sand, this is the first thing to go in. Secondly, if you are planning to add LR, make sure you leave room in the tank for it (displacement). Depending on where you get the LR from, you can use it to cycle the tank too. Yell if you need any more assistance. HTH

Me

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com