New Tank White Bugs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eatsomepopcorn

Aquarium Advice Freak
I set up a new 120 G FOWLR and placed my first fish in the tank (small clown trigger). The parameters all check out on the water, but I noticed alot of air bubbles in the tank when I installed my light and upon closer inspection they are not air bubbles, they are tiny white creatures that look almost like brine shrimp, but even smaller and some of them are attaching to the walls and I can see them jump a half millimeter or so sometimes. There are approximately 10 million of these, so lets just say lots of them. Does anyone know what they are they look a bit like floating sand but smaller than a grain of sand and about the size of a small air bubble that might come out of your return line. I need to figure out if they are dangerous to my new fish or just part of the process of cycling or something else. My tank has been set up and running for two weeks and I watched amonia and nitrites go to zero. It has a 8.3 PH exactly, 1.21 salinity, and 80 degrees with no nitrates. I run a 40 gallong sump that is a wet/dry with a protein skimmer. It is too small to photograph so you have to use your imagination.:onfire:

Sounds like copepods. Not harmful at all and the population will ebb and flow over time.

Yep! I agree with the above, copepods are a good sign. As HN mentioned you will see "blooms" and lulls throughout the lifespan of you system. Since you have only just added fish to the tank the copepods were able to reproduce to massive numbers. Your fish will pick them off and you wont see them out as much.

Are copepods white and almost microscopic in size and would I typically have several million of them?

Back
Top Bottom