New to a reef tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Matt K.

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I NEED HELP. I have just set up a 90 gal. tank. I want to make it a reef w/ some fish tank. Small fish like mandarins, and other sm. things.
First the tank is up. The bottom is drilled, the plumbing is complete. I have a 29 gal. sump below. I have 8-4ft. t5 HO bulbs, all on timers(4 ea.X 2 timers), plus 2 sm. CFL's for night lighting. It has 5 in. of live carib-sea gravel. It has an undergravel plenum made of 1 in. PVC, and egg crate material, covered with screen material. With that, I have a 1in. lift tube in the opposite corner(opposite corner of the drilled overflo area) w/a powerhead. 2 Hydor powerheads in random areas to keep movement in all places in the tank. In the sump, I have a CA 3000 pump to return the water back to the tank. But that's it. I have a protein skimmer that I got from a friend, but he didn't know how it works, neither do I. It has a RIO 800 venturi powerhead attached to a tube coming out the side. Up aways is another tube with a strainer on it. The opening of the powerhead has 2 airline fittings on it. And it sits in the sump. That's all I know about it. Other than that the sump is empty. (with the exception of a Fluval "E" 300 wt. heater. What do I put in the sump. PLEASE HELP ME.

Can you put a picture of your sump up? Most have protein skimmer in first section, LR in second section and return pump in third just for the basics

I have no dividers in the sump. Just the items I told you about. I got this setup from a guy that I work withs wife, she had so many problems, she wanted out. They had well water, and the pet shop she bought from told her it was fine(the water stunk so bad of eggs), she wouldn't listen to anyone else. It is a 29 gal. tank.(30X12Xwhatever). Hope you can help me.

This might be a dumb question but do you already have water in the tank and sump. Can you pull the sump out so you can put some panels in the sump, as you should have sections to use the sump to the best of it's ability's. Sounds like all it is doing right is creating more water volume. Can you put a pic up of the protein skimmer or anything?

I don't know how to put a pic. on this site. But I did take a pic. of the skimmer. As far as the sump goes, I put valves in the PVC lines, so there is no water in the sump. The tank is full, with the powerheads circulating the water.

Attachments

• 037.jpg
    037.jpg
    123.3 KB · Views: 70
Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom