Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 11-26-2005, 01:39 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie
New to Aquarium Advice...Help......Please!!

I have a 55 gallon salt water aquarium. My salinity has always been high - 1.028 - .029
- How detrimental is this to my fish and coral?
- Is it dangerous to do a massive water change using bottled water to correct this?

This is my first message using 'Aquarium Advice' - thank you very much!

Each One Teach One.
toddnlinds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 01:43 PM   #2
AA Team Emeritus
Send a message via Yahoo to Hara
I would change out the water slowly, I would recommend taking out 1 gallon of salt water and replace it with one gallon of fresh water daily until it is where you want it to be. It would be best if you added the fresh water in a slow manner as well, such as a litre at a time with a couple hours between each litre.

It would be quite dangerous to correct this all at one time.

Hara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 02:27 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hara is right on. With corals you probablu want to get it down to 1.024-25. How did it get out of balance.

I assume you have been doing this awhile, but one common error people new to sw make is to replace evaporated water with more sw. The salt never leaves the system and you should top off regularly with fw. I probaly top off 1-2 gallons daily.

Good luck,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict
SG swings should be limited to 0.001 per day, .002 at the very most depending on what animals you keep. Be careful not to bring the SG down too fast. 1.028-1.029 is definitely on the high side. As said the NSW found around reefs ranges from approx. 1.024-1.026. Running higher than normal salinity/SG levels will have negative effects on your animals. Good luck!
MT79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2005, 06:17 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic
Send a message via MSN to flamingonhot Send a message via Yahoo to flamingonhot
My salinity gets that high only when I have major evaporation. It goes up to about 1.027 or higher and my fish aren't affected. But in my case they're usually only in that high of sg for no more than 3 days if im gone or something. I check my salinity about twice a week. But if it's like that constantly than like they said they're will be some negative effects.
I'm tired of getting pointless messages. If your going to start a conversation or ask me something, keep up with it.
flamingonhot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2005, 09:54 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict
Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!!
Follow the advice given to lower your SG. Do you kow how it got so high? As mentioned, make sure you do your top-offs with FW, not SW. When you do waer changes use SW to replace the water you took out of the tank.

Some people are like slinkies...they serve no real purpose yet can still bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs!:p
Have a great day! Brian
lando is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com