New to Aquarium fishes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keitech

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone,

I have a 100 gallons tank. It's 11 days old. What I did to prepare the tank:

added 2 bio spira
3 bags of marine live sand
1 fluval 404 pump
1 power head
1 bubble maker

I have about 13 fish (damzils) and an emerald crab. Oh on fish is also a percula clown fish.

Should I be worried that all of my fish would die? I have heard from others that in a new tank, one shouldn't add any fish in until 6 weeks later.

Your comments and expertise is most appreciated.

Thanks,

Damsels and clownfish are pretty hardy, they probably won't die. However, it will be VERY stressful on them, and I would recommend that you do some research before adding anymore fish or inverts to your tank. It is very commom for lfs's to give less than perfect advice.

If you search this forum on the word cycling, you should get some really great threads that will explain this situation to you more clearly, good luck..

So this is a fish only tank? No live rock?

By 'bubble maker' do you mean an airstone?

I'd suggest these 2 books:
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist - By Robert Fenner
and
The New Marine Aquarium - Micheal Paletta

The Fenner book is a must...Paletta's book would've helped more prior to you setting up the tank..so its optional.

No live rocks yet as I'm a little nervous about how it would do in a new tank.

The bubble maker, yes, it's just a tube with air pumping into it.

Let me put another vote in for the Paletta book--even though you're past the initial set up, he's very clear about what to do, step by step. I think you'll find it really helpful. I know I did.

what strength powearhead do you have in there? i would suggest adding maybe 2 more, marine fish like a lot of current.

i really liked the robert fenner book, esp. because it includes a detailed account of the more common species of fish.

you need to start testing your water and watching the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites. maybe you could do a test and then list your readings here? that would be a big help in adivising you.

also, 13 fish is a huge bioload for a brand new tank. you might want to consider returning maybe half of these fish until the tank is cycled (all the ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites read 0).

after your tank is cycled remember the general rule of stocking in a saltwater aquairum is 1 in of fhis to every 5 gallons of water. in other words, your tank can hold a total of 20 inches of fish. remember to take into account the adult sizhe fish you will keep too.

are you currently doing water changes? if so, how often and how much? you really should be, since you are cycling using live fish.

i too advocate the use of LR. check into this site: www.liverocks.com they have excellent merchandise and their LR is usually fine to add right to the tank because it is shipped so quickly and there is little dieoff. also this is one of the best prices going. not only will this make your tank more attractive, it will help with filtration too by adding space for beneficial bacteria to grow.

keep us updated! we are always here to help.

During the 8 days of the tank, I took a portion of water sample to the fish store to test. The readings were perfect. But the fish store stated to be cautious even though the tank seems to be completely cycled.

As for the water change, I haven't done any. Today is the 12 day of the tank.

I'm way new to this, but I don't think it's possible for a FO tank to cycle in less than two weeks, especially with that many fish. It just seems impossible that there would be no ammonia or nitrites. Is it possible that they only tested for nitrAtes? (Why they would do that I have no idea . . . ) Nitrates are the last to appear so there might not be any yet. My QT tank is a month old and I am only now getting nitrates showing.

Well keep in mind he did use Bio Spira...supposed to be good stuff...but I never used it so I can't really offer an experienced comment on it.

I don't think you have enough filtration for that many fish. LIve rock is the way to go, but unless you can get cured rock you'll have to cure it first and then add it slowly to avoid a mini-cycle.

Unfortunately you ran gung-ho into this without a lot of research, and now you're going to have to be really careful on making any changes.

And 12 days...you're due for a water change.

Thank you for your help.

I had just ask the Petsmart people to test the water and there is sign of nitrate.

I'm very nervous right now as one of my emerald just died this morning after 8 days in the tank.

No ned tobe nervous, just slow down a bit. I wold get a reliable test kit of your own so you can test yourself. Give your tanks some more time. Skip the bio-spira and spend the money on live rock instead. Go slow and let the tank cycle naturally. Good luck...Lando

Keitech, is there a LFS you can go to instead of Petsmart? Pet stores in general are not known for their great advice to new SW keepers, and the problem with a place like Petsmart is that a lot of their employees are just kids with no special experience or interest in fish. You might get someone knowledgeable, but more than likely you won't. If you can make the drive up to Sac, Paradise Aquarium could really help you out--the guy who owns it has the same philosophy as most of the people on this board. (He told me to DIY my sump instead of trying to sell me a $400 setup like everyone else.)

Paradise Aquarium
4921 47th Ave
Sac CA 95824
916 393 0389

Petsmart told you to throw 13 fish and a bag of biospira in your tank? That should be a crime. :evil: Bio spyra will not do the job. I tried a bag in a 40 gallon qt tank and it didn't kick in a cycle, doubt if it will in a 100 gallon.
Nitrate is not your enemy right now, ammonia and nitrite is what is killing you animals.
I would take blorkiemom's advise and check out that other lfs. Maybe they would take the fish and give you the credit towards some live rock so you can start over and do it right. A good LFS would be invaluable to you right now.
Much good advise above and we will continue to help, but it is time for damage control. Did you try contacting blorkiemom's store ? Maybe another LFS, anyone but petsmart.
Don't worry, we'll get ya set straight. :wink: Keep posting questions.
Couple of links that will help guide you.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/estbiofiltmar.htm
Make sure you read the FAQ's on the second link, much info there.

Back
Top Bottom