Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-20-2005, 10:36 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Send a message via AIM to UberNachtfalke Send a message via MSN to UberNachtfalke Send a message via Yahoo to UberNachtfalke
-Definately planning on corals. Are there really specific types of MH/CF lights that are better for different types of fishes or coral? Should I leave on a blue or uv light during the night or something?
-Not quite sure if Oceanic includes a sump or not. If not, does anybody have any suggestions or sketches on what I should make it as?
-For the heaters, I'm looking at good 250-300watt titanium heaters that are "smart" if you'd put it that way. AKA: Set it at 78F, and forget it (Regular checks of course)
-About how much will 100lbs of liverock cost? Liverocks.com is down, which is where many people suggest, so I'm not sure on what I'm going to spend there.
-rl180reef.com suggests several types of live rock over the course of a year or two. Would it be beneficial to add some live rock in the sand?
-There's an article on growing coral up in the articles link. Can anybody expand on this a little bit more? Maybe some pictures of your coral farms, etc. Do you suppose the LFS would buy any extra coral off of me (Really don't like the idea of shipping coral to anybody... UPS and USPS are bad. FedEx... maybe)

TIA
-Nacht

Old 11-20-2005, 11:53 AM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
About how much will 100lbs of liverock cost? Liverocks.com is down, which is where many people suggest, so I'm not sure on what I'm going to spend there.
Quite a bit. Do you have LFS around you that sells LR? Sometimes, they can order special amounts just for you, and might be able to get it a bit cheaper. I always think finding something locally is a good idea, versus having it shipped in, but sometimes that's just not possible. My first guess is going to be over $600 for 100 pounds of good LR, but I've never oredered from lr.com, so I can't be sure.
Quote:
For the heaters, I'm looking at good 250-300watt titanium heaters that are "smart" if you'd put it that way. AKA: Set it at 78F, and forget it (Regular checks of course)
Most heaters nowadays are self regulating, which is nice. VisiTherm and EboJager seems to be the most prefered brands. I have both (Ebo on my reef tank, VT on my fresh tanks) and I have no complaints about either. I'd go with the visitherm however, as it's fully submersible, and there have been some issues with the ebo's shorting out and not being quite so submersible.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2005, 02:14 PM   #13

Send a message via AIM to UberNachtfalke Send a message via MSN to UberNachtfalke Send a message via Yahoo to UberNachtfalke
-Do I need any type of current to keep the tank healthy, or is it just for my personal enjoyment?
-Definately planning on corals. Are there really specific types of MH/CF lights that are better for different types of fishes or coral? Should I leave on a blue or uv light during the night or something?
-Not quite sure if Oceanic includes a sump or not. If not, does anybody have any suggestions or sketches on what I should make it as?
-rl180reef.com suggests several types of live rock over the course of a year or two. Would it be beneficial to add some live rock in the sand?
-There's an article on growing coral up in the articles link. Can anybody expand on this a little bit more? Maybe some pictures of your coral farms, etc. Do you suppose the LFS would buy any extra coral off of me (Really don't like the idea of shipping coral to anybody... UPS and USPS are bad. FedEx... maybe)
-Any suggestions on an in-like skimmer?
-Do I need a calcium reactor or anything for the tank?

^^ A couple new questions plus any repeated not answered.
Old 11-21-2005, 09:40 AM   #14

Alright. I'm looking at a 90 gallon tank. ThatPetPlace has a 48x18x25 90gal rectangle tank for $337.99 from Oceanic. They also have a bowfront 90gal for $608.99. A bit expensive for the bowfront, so will likely just stick with the rectangular one. (If in the case that I did have enough money for the bow, I'd just buy a 120gal anyways )
Haven't been able to scope out a LFS in a while, so not sure about the prices around here. There are some awfully nice stores in the naperville/chicago area though.

Want to do a LR-Skimmer-Bubble Trap-Pump style sump. Will probably do a 30 or 40 gallon sump, depending on how much room I have. Will I need anything else to help maintain the reef in here? Calcium reactor or anything else like that?

For heaters, I'm really really worried about a glass one exploding in the tank. I've heard many'a horror stories about how all of the fish got stressed, and died, and then the reef turned some weird color and died. What's the chances of that happening? If the chances are high enough, I would definately shell out the extra money for titanium heaters.

Lights I like. Lights are expensive. Lighte break me . PC lights seem to use less electricity than MH lights though, so they're worth it to me. This Kit is the one that I'm looking at for mounting the lights under the hood. Any tank that I'm going to get will be 48" long anyways. Will 4 55W bulbs be enough though, or should I get two fixtures? Was thinking about putting 50/50 bulbs in there (Blue/white), or should I go just 10,000k? Will I need night lights.

I'm thinking about putting some way in order to put little currents in the tank to make it more realistic. Is it worth getting special current equipmnt, or does it provide no benefit?
TIA
-Nacht
Old 11-22-2005, 03:19 PM   #15
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
For heaters, I'm really really worried about a glass one exploding in the tank. I've heard many'a horror stories about how all of the fish got stressed, and died, and then the reef turned some weird color and died. What's the chances of that happening? If the chances are high enough, I would definately shell out the extra money for titanium heaters.
I've never had that problem. If you have large fish in your tank though, you may opt out of the glass ones. I know some will smash them against the glass.
Quote:
I'm thinking about putting some way in order to put little currents in the tank to make it more realistic. Is it worth getting special current equipmnt, or does it provide no benefit?
A few powerheads are a must, IMO. Fish love it, and it keeps your rock free of detritus. Also can help combat cyano, which loves dead flow areas.
Quote:
Will 4 55W bulbs be enough though, or should I get two fixtures? Was thinking about putting 50/50 bulbs in there (Blue/white), or should I go just 10,000k? Will I need night lights.
That would be 2.4 WPG. Enough to house some lower light corals. You can find something with a bit more wattage. IMO, you should go with 2 24 inch fixtures.

http://www.hellolights.com/242xcoraqpch1.html
Quote:
Alright. I'm looking at a 90 gallon tank. ThatPetPlace has a 48x18x25 90gal rectangle tank for $337.99 from Oceanic. They also have a bowfront 90gal for $608.99. A bit expensive for the bowfront, so will likely just stick with the rectangular one. (If in the case that I did have enough money for the bow, I'd just buy a 120gal anyways )
Check your local newspaper. You might be able to find one for about half of that, and save a ton of money. Always lots of people who are desperate to get rid of tanks.

HTH

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com