New to corals and inverts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Moneymike1

Aquarium Advice Activist
Just started a 75 gallon tank and looking to get corals and inverts in the future. If anyone could give me a timeframe on when it is safe to add corals that would be great! Any help would be greatly appreciated!

It's new and I have a remora aqua c protein skimmer, marine land reef capable light, 30 lbs live rock 40 lbs base rock. Canister filter and 1600 wavemakers. It's on stand that came with it.

It all depends on the lighting you have for you tank. What are the specs for you lights? do you wanna go LPS or SPS?

I will have to look up the specks and get back with you on that! :) but I'm going to sound stupid asking this but what's the difference between lps and sps

Thanks a ton Ill have to read this and get bAck with ya!

Can you post a pic of your tank I would like to see yours!

With inverts I would think after your tank cycles would be good. They are usually sensitive to any water chemistry changes in short times especially in nitrates and salinity. What I did was find the cheapest shrimp I could and threw him in there bc I would rather a peperiment or camel back shrimp die before cleaner or fire red shrimp. Coral it really depends what type many times if you get on live aquaria it will say recommendations of the established aquarium. Id say after cycled 2 months softies 5 months most everything else 8 months nems. Make sure you have the lighting requirments bc that is just as important as having an established tank for the coral.

With inverts I would think after your tank cycles would be good. They are usually sensitive to any water chemistry changes in short times especially in nitrates and salinity. What I did was find the cheapest shrimp I could and threw him in there bc I would rather a peperiment or camel back shrimp die before cleaner or fire red shrimp. Coral it really depends what type many times if you get on live aquaria it will say recommendations of the established aquarium. Id say after cycled 2 months softies 5 months most everything else 8 months nems. Make sure you have the lighting requirments bc that is just as important as having an established tank for the coral.

Thanks a ton and with live rock there isn't any light requirements correct?

Thanks a lot for the help guys! but if I have the lights on it will not affect the rock? But this might result in algae growth?

For tanks that are FOWLR (fish only with live rock) you want to do 8-10 hours of light I've read and researched and for reef tanks which seem the way you are going 10-12 hours of light. But with just live rock, it doesn't matter for right now. I stay at 10 hours of light in my tank just to help prevent algae from breaking out on the walls.

So when I have corals in the tank lighting will depend on the type of coral?

Yes your sps lps nems clams thet require more light thans softies and mushroom

I'm guessing research is your best friend when learning to keep them! :)

Joining on this site has helped a ton. Thanks for all the help guys I will prob be asking more questions in the future!

Back
Top Bottom