new to forum and saltwater tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fish_bay

Aquarium Advice Regular
any input will help. i have a 75 gallons tank with 2 filters, i have a layer of dead crushed coral, one bag of live sand on left side , one bag of live crashed coral on the right , a big dead coral in the middle , i left it running bout 3 days the water got cleared and i added a small liverock and a blue and yellow damsel and today i added another damsel a black with 2 white spots but they fighting.

did i put in the fish or the live rock to quick?

when can i add live rock and how much rock for a coral tank???

any1 has to spare liverock or knows where to buy some cheap that is located in arizona????
what lights should i get for a coral tank and what other equipemnet ill be needing ?

First off, you didn' cycle your tank. Your tank has no bacteria in it to support livestock. You'll get an ammonia spike that might kill your fish.

Second, Damsels are aggressive and don't like each other.

Third, for a reef tank you want 1.5 to 2 lbs of live rock per gallon. Gives more room for bacteria to grow/live on and is a natural filtration device. Makes ammonia into nitrite into nitrate and that goes away from your weekly water changes.

You should add your live rock as soon as you start cycling. Gets all the bacteria in there asap. You will need a test kit to know when your cycle is done and/or where it is in the process.

For a coral tank, you will need a T5HO setup or better for lighting. Without knowing more about your tank, we cannot chime in on what would suit you best. I'd get your cycle started and while this is happening, read through the forums and ask questions. There is a ton of information infront of you to aid you process through starting up your tank.

+1^ what he said lol ... But in all seriousness you have to realize SW is a very slow process... Plan on it being a 2-5 yr project minimum so get use to waiting lol

Edit* have to remember you are building a miniature ocean in your home so patience is very important :)

hey the world was done in 7 days , hahhahahahah thx a lot .. i know it is a slow processs but i did what people from the stores where i bought stuff from told me . i took some water to them they said was fine to add the fish .but i will read much as i acn and i will bugg u guys a lot . thank you

Don't always listen to your Lfs they are wrong half of the time just to make a profit as well.

We all make mistakes. I listened to mine and filled my tank with softies...they went toxic and killed most of my coral. Lots of $ lost and then had to restock... If it doesn't feel right or you are unsure, don't buy it and ask lots of questions and research. Having a smart phone makes this pretty easy. So wanted to walk away with a juv dragon wrasse one day for a 36 gal reef...

fish_bay said:
any input will help. i have a 75 gallons tank with 2 filters, i have a layer of dead crushed coral, one bag of live sand on left side , one bag of live crashed coral on the right , a big dead coral in the middle , i left it running bout 3 days the water got cleared and i added a small liverock and a blue and yellow damsel and today i added another damsel a black with 2 white spots but they fighting.

did i put in the fish or the live rock to quick?

when can i add live rock and how much rock for a coral tank???

any1 has to spare liverock or knows where to buy some cheap that is located in arizona????
what lights should i get for a coral tank and what other equipemnet ill be needing ?

What part of Arizona? I know a guy that has lots of live rock coral etc at great prices.

thx for the info ill wait 2 more days with the damsels in and ill go and get the rock

Back
Top Bottom