New To forum,Need Advice On Getting a dungeness crab&tan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MightyMikeSaga

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello! Im new to this forum, and new to the hobby of having a aquarium...Im thinking about getting a dungeness crab. Only thing is i dont really know anything about what kind of tank to get, and all that goes into taking care of one. Like what other sea life could be in the tank with a crab like this...Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com :)

I really don't think you would be very happy with this type of crab. They are very messy and quite taxing on the biofilter. You would need quite a large system to maintain it. You would also not be able to keep much of anything else with it. They are increadibley destructive and will eat just about anything not nailed down.

There are many attractive species of mobile inverts that you could easily set up a tank for instead. Smaller, less waste producing and in many cases can be kept in a wide variety of types depending on tank size.

Cheers
Steve

awesome..thank u..what crabs should i look into? and also how would one go about buying a small octopuss? is that even possible? im not even sure if they have any places here in philadelphia would sell one..well..thanks for your help!

There are quite a few crab species available but it would really depend on the size of the tank to what kind or how many. Most species of purely decoartive types will co-exist just fine space depending.

Have a look on this site. Very very basic info but it will give you some ideas.
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=501&TopCatId=501
http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/scateg.cfm?siteid=23&pCatId=525&TopCatId=525

The octopus is more than possible but I would wait on something like that until you have some advanced experience in marine keeping. They are not very easy to care for especially someone right out of the gate :wink:

While this site is probably one of the best on the net, www.TONMO.com would be the only other place I would recommend specific to captive care of Cephalopods.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom