new to freshwater exp. saltwater set-up question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trrogers

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a JBJ nano tank with compact flourecents and am going to start a planted tank...I am using RODI water and am gettting the substrate fertilizer mixed with gravel. The tank has only been set-up for a couple of days and cycling with fish food...but I was told I could add plants while cycling..Is this ok??? With saltwater you can't and I want to do this right and double check. It's so hard to look at an empty tank though! :) Besides the saltwater tank has ended up being my husbands tank and I like the idea of small water changes and something that's not too time consuming. Thank you in advance and I'm sure I will posting again soon!

Trish

Yes you can plant right from the begining. The plants will help with the cycle. If you have a lot of light, plant heavily right away it will make your life easier. Are you planning on CO2?

I am looking into it....it is a small tank and I won't have alot of room for too many plants but was looking at Fosters and Smith( I think) and they had a natural Co2 gizmo that is for small tanks like mine and makes it by sugar fermenting in the chamber and a flat bubble chamber releases it into the tank. Sounds cool but not sure if it would work. I really don't want to put too much money into this right now either as I am not making as much money right now ( we had the nano cube hanging around unused so I decided to have my own little oasis). :D

Trish

If it is of any help to you; when cycling my most recent tank (29 gallon FW) with fish food/waste water from a pwc I heavily planted the tank. The plants did very well and in fact seemed to flourish.

All in all, I would say that planting during the cycle period is not a problem at all.

Best,
Joe

Back
Top Bottom