Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-06-2008, 12:31 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

So if I do the sump you so beautifully drew above this is all I'll need for filtration? I'm assuming I also need a shut off valve. Would I put this in the gravuty feed line from the tank?

Old 01-06-2008, 12:51 PM   #12
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

A lot of us use only a refugium, LR and a skimmer as our filtration. If you have enough LR and good skimmer and a fuge like drawn (with macro and LR) you should be just fine with filtration.

The shutoff valve should be put on the overflow line. I have them on my return lines as well just so I can fine tune the amount of water going back into the tank.

Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM   #13

OK, it's not as complicated as I originally had thought. I've seen pictures of tanks with all kinds of holes drilled into them with a ton of piping and wasn't sure what I really needed.

Also. the RO\DI unit is just to filter water before putting it into the tank right? It doesn't actually need to be piped into the tank itself.
Old 01-06-2008, 01:19 PM   #14
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dheck View Post
Also. the RO\DI unit is just to filter water before putting it into the tank right? It doesn't actually need to be piped into the tank itself.
Correct.

I also only run a skimmer and some powerheads for flow, and am working on a refugium.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #15

Thanks, you guys are a huge help. Any more advice for a beginner?
Old 01-06-2008, 02:14 PM   #16
AA Team Emeritus

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

The best advice any one of us can offer is to take your time and research every piece of your system before adding it. In other words if there is a pump or skimmer you want read about them and ask questions here to get personal experience with each piece of equipment. Also don't always take what an LFS tells you as law. Most of the time they are just out to make money and will not always give you the best advice.

Pick up a couple of books on reef tanks and SW systems and do lots of learning. The better prepared you are starting out the easier and better your SW experience is going to be.
Ziggy953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2008, 02:18 PM   #17
Moderator Emeritus

The bigger the sump, the better, as it is not only to hide ugly equipment, but to also increase total water volume to minimize the effects of changes like evaporation.

The RO/DI will also make your topoff water to replace the water lost due to evaporation (unless you build an auto-topoff which is my favorite thing I've added).

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com