Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-17-2017, 09:00 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

New to marine

Hello everyone i'm Josh,
Iv been keeping tropical fish for several years now and have recently been given a nano marine tank i'm guessing its around 35 litres. Im completely new to marine fish keeping and have been doing a lot of research and reading on several forums. The tank has a built in power head, media tray and skimmer. I have cleaned the tank with fresh water and have now mixed aqua safe and added salt water and crush coral sand into the tank. The solinity/gravity is at the right level according to the hydrometer. i was just wondering if there is anything else i can add to help cycling process.

thanks

Old 08-17-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Welcome! Do you have rock? You will want to get all of your rocks in there and throw in a shrimp or some fish food or something- then let it sit in there to decay- Or you can add straight ammonia- Or you could get one of those cycle starters like Dr tims. Either way you have to introduce a source of ammonia then let biology do the rest. Throw a pic of your setup when you get a chance. Good luck!!

Old 08-17-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

this link should get you on your way
Cycle your salt tank - Aquarium Advice

I would avoid crushed coral if you plane on having any fish that bury themselves
it can cut them up bad

your also going to need some rock
54seaweed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 12:02 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Hi thanks for the reply's iv currently added some live rock this week, im going to take the advice and put some fish food into the tank to start the process. is it worth buying something like fluval cycle liquid to put into the tank as well?

thanks
Old 08-19-2017, 12:07 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Nope, personally the way I cycle marine tanks is to throw a couple of pieces of shrimp in a piece of pantry hose and let it sit in the tank. No need to add phosphates by adding fish food

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com