Originally Posted by CatoeSc
I tried to do a fishless cycle, but I I didn't get any elevated numbers. The only thing I saw go up was nitrate after I began feeding the tank.
Ok. So you at least know FW
tanks... Just add a fish or two, monitor the parameters w/ liquid test kits (I think you already said you were) & add fish as the parameters hit zero just a couple at a time giving the BB time to adjust. Be prepared w/ aerated saltwater for a PWC
as needed as things can change quickly as you know when you change the bioload!
I bought my tank used w/ stock. It's 75g, so good sized & supposedly under stocked on LR
. But I've never had Ammonia or NitrItes after adding a new batch of stock. I started w/ a Sea Cucumber, a large 3-Stripe Damsel, a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp, several Dwarf Cerith snails, Nassarius Snails & blue-legged hermit crabs. I added a pair of Ocellaris Clowns, took out the Damsel almost right away. Waited a couple of weeks, added a LM Blenny, Emerald Crab & 2 Bengaii Cardinals and Chaeto & a light to the refugium. Waited a couple more weeks, added a Horseshoe Crab, 10 turbo snails & 10 tiny blue-legged hermit crabs all at once. Have never seen a fluctuation in Ammonia or NitrItes just NitrAtes coming down & a significant decrease when I added the Chaeto.
I hope it's an awesome surprise at the big tank reveal!!