New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Most run a low limit of 7.8 and a high limit of 8.4, I run from 8.1 to 8.3. You want it to vary as little as possible. Variation is generally caused by C02 buildup in the water when photosynthesis is halted by lights out. Keeping good gas exchange helps reduce the variation as the tank can blow off C02 easier. My Ph use to vary up to .4 points when I closed up the house and turned on the air conditioning. I helped solve this by giving my protein skimmer a outside air source.

Is this issue unique to SW? I've never experienced this with my FW.

After just a bit if research, I have to say this cant be a high tech tank. Much as I hate fake, I'm going to have to go that route. I just cant spend that kind of money on live corals. Will live rock be required?

About the corals, how do you measure their bioload? Also, how do you control them to prevent spreading to certain areas?

You still don't have to do fake ornaments, you will need live rock (you can buy it dry, it will become live) Just having live rock in there will provide you with all the filtration you need...

After just a bit if research, I have to say this cant be a high tech tank. Much as I hate fake, I'm going to have to go that route. I just cant spend that kind of money on live corals. Will live rock be required?

About the corals, how do you measure their bioload? Also, how do you control them to prevent spreading to certain areas?

You can get corals at an affordable price, you just have to be willing to grow them out rather than just buying the big piece to begin with. I currently have 14 different corals in my 20g and with the exception of one they were all under $15 each. Zoanthids and Mushrooms don't cost much at all and don't require the highest light so are a good choice for a frugal tank.

I'm kinda in the same mindset as you except *I'm* the one wanting a Nemo'esque tank but I blame it on "It's for the kids." HA!! In a 29, from what I'm finding across many sources a HOB filter will do ya w/ a powerhead, some sand & live rock. Make sure it's cycled then throw ya 1-2 clowns in (I'd only do 1) & a scarlet (skunk) clear shrimp in. Do you already have the cube?? If not, I'd get a longer tank b/c fish enjoy swimming lengthwise rather than up & down but the cube will be fine. Although, I really like the hidden all inclusive equipment on the back of some of those cubes. Kinda like a mini sump sometimes protein skimmer too. Although, I'm mostly hearing a protein skimmer isn't necessary at all in that small of a tank. I think for a HOB though you'd want a much higher turn over rate than a FW tank would require. I'm thinking seriously of making my 29 a secondary SW tank or maybe even just turning my 75 into a FW for all my fish I have amongst 4 tanks. I really only want very minimal SW stock, so a 29 would do it for me. Then I'd just be taking care of 2 tanks in the same room instead of 5 strewed about the house! I can dream... Ha ha...

As for the Nemo tank, I'd buy a fake anemone until ready to deal w/ corals, etc. It'll probably be a PITA, needing to be cleaned unlike a real one would but it'd definitely give the look for the kids. Pretty sure a clown wouldn't even pay attention to the fake. The shrimp may clean it.

Our shrimp is the neatest thing, so interactive. We put our faces near the tank & swims over like he's gonna jump on us!

Not sure what type of clown in Daniel's tank it is... I'm going to get Ocellaris Clowns b/c #1) they're smaller & #2) I feel like they look more like the Nemo clowns--their black lines are less pronounced. I'm getting them in about a week, can't wait! Then an Algae Blenny if I have enough algae to warrant one. I just love how they sit on rocks & scoot about.

Well, after just a very brief dive into setting up a full-fledged marine tank complete with high lighting and corral, I've decided that I'm going to have to do a fish only set up. By the time I set up a 25 to 30 gallon tank, I will have spent more than $1,000 bucks! I can't do that on a little tank for my son.

So, lets talk a fish only tank. I'd like to do 2 clowns, a shrimp, and maybe one other fish- a fire angel would be nice. How would I set this up with artificial corral decor? Would I have to use live rock? Could I use live sand instead? Could I use rubble in a canister in place of bio balls rather than having live rock?

Well, after just a very brief dive into setting up a full-fledged marine tank complete with high lighting and corral, I've decided that I'm going to have to do a fish only set up. By the time I set up a 25 to 30 gallon tank, I will have spent more than $1,000 bucks! I can't do that on a little tank for my son.

So, lets talk a fish only tank. I'd like to do 2 clowns, a shrimp, and maybe one other fish- a fire angel would be nice. How would I set this up with artificial corral decor? Would I have to use live rock? Could I use live sand instead? Could I use rubble in a canister in place of bio balls rather than having live rock?

What about Craigslist? I got my ENTIRE set up for $100, just had to move the tank: 75 gal, light, stand, skimmer, sump, pump, live rock, sand, fish, shrimp & CUC!

All's you need is 1 good sized live rock and less expensive base rock will become live & the sand will become live too. Use a HOB filter, no need for a skimmer. You'll need at least 1 powerhead. If you are patient, you will find the right things for a great deal on Craigslist or at a thrift store. Even ask a LFS if they sell used equipment. Good luck!

What about Craigslist? I got my ENTIRE set up for $100, just had to move the tank: 75 gal, light, stand, skimmer, sump, pump, live rock, sand, fish, shrimp & CUC!

All's you need is 1 good sized live rock and less expensive base rock will become live & the sand will become live too. Use a HOB filter, no need for a skimmer. You'll need at least 1 powerhead. If you are patient, you will find the right things for a great deal on Craigslist or at a thrift store. Even ask a LFS if they sell used equipment. Good luck!

Good tips, but I think I need to stick to fish only.

You need rock. It does not have to be live as mentioned earlier, but I wouldn't suggest using anything for fresh water, like lava rock. You can buy dry rock at the LFS or on line and it's fairly reasonable.
The trouble with the fake stuff in the tank is that it will get coated with algae and will need to be cleaned periodically. Live stuff won't do this. It's not important any way because if you get some tank raised clowns, they won't care if there's an anemone in the tank, or a sponge bob statue, and neither will a shrimp.

The clown fish ( nemo ) is orc ,

Aka false clown or anemone fish .
Mine are tank raised and bought them and the anemone they were hosting .
More of a guarantee they would when I got then home .

You need rock. It does not have to be live as mentioned earlier, but I wouldn't suggest using anything for fresh water, like lava rock. You can buy dry rock at the LFS or on line and it's fairly reasonable.
The trouble with the fake stuff in the tank is that it will get coated with algae and will need to be cleaned periodically. Live stuff won't do this. It's not important any way because if you get some tank raised clowns, they won't care if there's an anemone in the tank, or a sponge bob statue, and neither will a shrimp.

Correct me if I'm wrong mr x
But isn't there a general rule of 1 lb of live rock per gallon ?
And for a tank this size with only live rock and a pair of clowns would a skimmer still be required ?

As long as water changes are part of a weekly - monthly routine there is no need for a protein skimmer for any size tank.
I believe the lb. per gallon rule is 2lb. But it all depends on the opinion of the owner and how they want the tank to look.

A saltwater tank does not have to be expensive. Spend a little extra time looking for deals on Craigslist and eBay...

A mechanical filter is highly recommended by most people because you can use filter floss and carbon to clear up the water.
Live rock is good as a natural filter, but I would not even consider setting up a tank without a mechanical filter of some kind.

I'm relieved to hear someone else has a Spongebob statue... LOL

I have Squidward's house, Spongebob's pineapple & a Gary statue in 1 of my tanks and Bikini Bottom background. And in my SW tank, we have live snails we call Gary!!

And, we just went here this past Saturday. They were life size, so cool!! HA!

image-3511444151.jpg

The reason you need to do FW top offs in saltwater is because when the water evaporates, the salt does not. Meaning your salt level in the water will rise. Adding fresh RODI water every other day will keep it at a consistent level. There are auto top off systems you can buy, but you can just manually do it too.

Just wondering about topping off every couple of days. I would have a tight fitting glass top- will I get that much evaporation? That seems like a lot. Is that unique to SW setups? Reason I'm asking is that I do weekly changes on our tanks and haven't seen that w/ FW.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm doubting you, just trying to understand.[/QUOTE]

This was the question I was referring too. Should have quoted it. :)

Most people don't have tight fitting kids to allow for proper oxygen exchange, so an open top does create more evaporation. I right fitting lid may also lead to ph problems (being too low) I think it is unique to SW...

Most people don't have tight fitting kids to allow for proper oxygen exchange, so an open top does create more evaporation. I right fitting lid may also lead to ph problems (being too low) I think it is unique to SW...

+1... And yes, I do notice my SW open tank evaporates much more than my hooded FW tanks but also the SW is my biggest & w/ the most surface area.

Back
Top Bottom