New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So, just an update, looks like one going with a 25 gallon Berlin setup. Found a nice pine stand for super cheap, limiting my options on tank size. 25 gallon is the biggest I can get.

I need recommendations for a protein skimmer, though. Any thoughts?

So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!

Don't bother with sponges and clams. That's not true. They won't clean the water enough to notice on a test kit.

So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!

I did the SAME thing w/ my 15 gal tall!! Paid full boat til I got wise on the used circuit... thrift shops, Craigslist, etc. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give ya a GOOD deal on a 15 gal tall! Ha ha...

PS--I'm so over my 75 gal saltwater, I just want a small quaint marine tank. I may make the 75 gal a FW & my 29 gal the SW, get rid of the rest of my FW's. 1 big FW wouldn't be so bad to take care of ;)

Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...

Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...

My stand is painted black too ;)

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28" :(
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...

My stand is painted black too ;)

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28" :(
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...

Mine "landed" at 25". The tank is 25g and is pretty y'all, so I wanted to make sure it didn't get top-heavy. Turned out good, though!

Not quite done. Still have some detail work to do...

Attachments

• image-4045535358.jpg
    image-4045535358.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 89
  • image-2306655504.jpg
    image-2306655504.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 96
I used the sword to cut the lumber. :)

Alright cool. I have to try that next

I think I probably have 4 of those swords in various shapes & sizes plus a Disney-On-Ice Buzz Lightyear light-up sword (I didn't even know he had a sword) and a couple of Jedi Lightsabers w/ sounds... I trip over 1 or two carrying my buckets to flush the old tank water when I do PWC's! So I should be able to make a really fantastic tank stand!! HA!

I think I probably have 4 of those swords in various shapes & sizes plus a Disney-On-Ice Buzz Lightyear light-up sword (I didn't even know he had a sword) and a couple of Jedi Lightsabers w/ sounds... I trip over 1 or two carrying my buckets to flush the old tank water when I do PWC's! So I should be able to make a really fantastic tank stand!! HA!

Lol. Yep, we have them everywhere, too.

I've been piecing this together for a couple of months now. I just about have all the pieces in place. This weekend, I'll finish the stand and put baffles in my sump. By next weekend, I hope to have it up and running. Not in too big of a hurry. Plan to run it for about a month before even considering adding fish. I am anxious to see it run, though!

Nice! More than half the fun is saying you built it when people admire it! And I love doing something totally new to my tank every week or two. You can just see people's mind being blown as I explain how it works. I guess people just think fish just need water to swim in & I was one of those people before I got into real fish keeping a lil over a year ago!! I kept Bettas, turtles & various reptiles/amphibians as a teenager but had no idea what I was doing.

Excited. Picked up some 1/4" acrylic at Home Depot for my sump baffles. Had to cut it myself, but wasn't too hard. So, now I have pretty much everything I need to set up the tank. We just have to paint the stand (and paint the room it's going in). It should be up and running next weekend!

Any suggestions on sand? I want the kind with crushed corral, and plan to do live sand. I kinda like the look of some black in the sand.

Back
Top Bottom