Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, just an update, looks like one going with a 25 gallon Berlin setup. Found a nice pine stand for super cheap, limiting my options on tank size. 25 gallon is the biggest I can get.

I need recommendations for a protein skimmer, though. Any thoughts?

CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict

Reef octopus came out with a nano, it's what I'm getting

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic

So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't bother with sponges and clams. That's not true. They won't clean the water enough to notice on a test kit.
Old 06-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!
I did the SAME thing w/ my 15 gal tall!! Paid full boat til I got wise on the used circuit... thrift shops, Craigslist, etc. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give ya a GOOD deal on a 15 gal tall! Ha ha...

PS--I'm so over my 75 gal saltwater, I just want a small quaint marine tank. I may make the 75 gal a FW & my 29 gal the SW, get rid of the rest of my FW's. 1 big FW wouldn't be so bad to take care of
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...
My stand is painted black too

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28"
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post

My stand is painted black too

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28"
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...
Mine "landed" at 25". The tank is 25g and is pretty y'all, so I wanted to make sure it didn't get top-heavy. Turned out good, though!
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Not quite done. Still have some detail work to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045535358.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	185028   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2306655504.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	185029  

Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict

Looks good. The random sword does 2

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com