Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
 
Old 06-20-2013, 05:59 PM   #41
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
So, just an update, looks like one going with a 25 gallon Berlin setup. Found a nice pine stand for super cheap, limiting my options on tank size. 25 gallon is the biggest I can get.

I need recommendations for a protein skimmer, though. Any thoughts?
__________________

__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2013, 07:08 PM   #42
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Reef octopus came out with a nano, it's what I'm getting
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 04:37 PM   #43
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!
__________________
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #44
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
mr_X's Avatar


 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Fairless Hills, Pa.
Posts: 17,895
Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't bother with sponges and clams. That's not true. They won't clean the water enough to notice on a test kit.
__________________
thanks,
Doug
mr_X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #45
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TangoTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
So, the folks selling the aqueon stand backed out and decided not to sell... oof! But on a positive note, I've got a budy that's gonna hook me up with a skimmer and MH lights! I've decided I'll go ahead and do it right with a sump, but I'm not going to do the refugium. Instead, I'll just use more sand and LR. I was also told that sponges and certain clams in there will help clean up the water, but I'm not sure about that approach. I think I'll just keep it simple and take advantage of the additional water volume and bio-filtration.

So, it's going to be a 25g tank on a homemade stand with a 10g used for the sump (unless I can find a 15 tall - that would be better). I won't be adding any corral for probably 9 months. I will wait for the LR and any fish I add to be happy and stable before I go to the next step.

Little by little, I'm finally figuring this thing out. Not quite as difficult as I originally expected, but definitely pricey if you're not careful. I spent big $$ on my planted 40B, so I'm taking my time, looking for sales, buying amazon, checking Craigslist... all that good stuff. And getting a free skimmer and MH light is a HUGE expense averted!
I did the SAME thing w/ my 15 gal tall!! Paid full boat til I got wise on the used circuit... thrift shops, Craigslist, etc. Too bad you aren't closer, I'd give ya a GOOD deal on a 15 gal tall! Ha ha...

PS--I'm so over my 75 gal saltwater, I just want a small quaint marine tank. I may make the 75 gal a FW & my 29 gal the SW, get rid of the rest of my FW's. 1 big FW wouldn't be so bad to take care of
__________________
Check out my photography:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post2548090
TangoTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:00 AM   #46
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...
__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:40 PM   #47
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
TangoTank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 519
Quote:
Originally Posted by CatoeSc View Post
Wow... Just finished building my first aquarium stand for this tank. Very paranoid about it coming out level and I pulled it off. It's a shame to paint it rather than stain it... It's solid oak! But... I don't want to take the time to stain it... Plus, I kinda like black stands. I'll post pics as soon as its painted for anybody who's interested. Just tell me how impressed you are... If your not impressed, lies are acceptable to...
My stand is painted black too

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28"
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...
__________________
Check out my photography:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums...ml#post2548090
TangoTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 03:18 PM   #48
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Quote:
Originally Posted by TangoTank View Post

My stand is painted black too

I want to make a matching canopy. It's gonna involve a router to get the wood's shape look to match--good times.

PS--I didn't realize tank stands came in 2 heights, 28" & 32"! Mine's 28"
I might just have to build a bigger stand too...
Mine "landed" at 25". The tank is 25g and is pretty y'all, so I wanted to make sure it didn't get top-heavy. Turned out good, though!
__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:35 PM   #49
Aquarium Advice FINatic
 
CatoeSc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Dallas/Fort Worth
Posts: 654
Not quite done. Still have some detail work to do...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4045535358.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	120.4 KB
ID:	185028   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2306655504.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	136.8 KB
ID:	185029  

__________________
SC
65 Gallon Planted
25 Gallon Saltwater
CatoeSc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #50
Aquarium Advice Addict
 
cgthebeast's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: In a house
Posts: 3,085
Looks good. The random sword does 2
__________________

__________________
36 gallon fresh water

10g saltwater
cgthebeast is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off








» Photo Contest Winners








Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.