New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
In all reality you won't see a big change in nitrates with a hob refugium unless it is of a good size. This video helped me understand more.

What he meant was that using a 6" x 3" HOB filter turned into a refugium on the back of a 75 gallon tank is a waste of time. You need to size it to your tank. The larger the mass of algae, the more nutrients it uses.

People test there water and see they have high nitrates and look for a fast way to bring them down. They think a refugium will help but it won't fix the problem. Macro algae can only remove so much at once, so if nutrients are produced faster than the macro can consume (which is usually what happens) people either see no change at all or very little in their test results.

What he meant was that using a 6" x 3" HOB filter turned into a refugium on the back of a 75 gallon tank is a waste of time. You need to size it to your tank. The larger the mass of algae, the more nutrients it uses.

I see. So my tank is a 25 and the sump is a 10. I've probably got between 7 and 8 gallons of water in the sump, increasing my volume by about 30%, so that should be good, right?

People test there water and see they have high nitrates and look for a fast way to bring them down. They think a refugium will help but it won't fix the problem. Macro algae can only remove so much at once, so if nutrients are produced faster than the macro can consume (which is usually what happens) people either see no change at all or very little in their test results.

I understand now. In the long run, it helps... Just gotta keep everything balanced. I will definitely do regular water changes.

I had a about 14x14 sized refugium on a 125g and saw just about no results. :-( Thats a good example of not having a big enough refugium for my size tank. lol I have since turned the refugium section into a larger skimmer section but unfortunately I dont have the space needed for an appropriate sized refugium. Keeping up with water changes and watching your feeding and lighting are the big things to do to keep your tank algae free.

So, I've got a cleaner crew in. I just can't believe how much work these critters do!

So far:
2 Mexican Turbo Snails
1 Nasarius snail
3 small blue leg crabs
5 other snails. Can't remember what they are called. Here's a pic of one on a piece of live rock.

Attachments

• image-625173686.jpg
    image-625173686.jpg
    136.2 KB · Views: 90
So do Nasarius snails just not move much? I thought it died, so I moved it to another location to see if it would respond. Just as I was about to give up on it, it started moving and attaching itself to its new location.

Nasarius snails dont eat algae or move about until you feed the tank, then they come out from under the sand and go to town. Then back into the sand.
:)

Well, my cleaner crew is in place and all my numbers continue to stay in check based on the API kit. I put some small red leg hermit crabs in (the little guys, not the Halloweens/orange) and an electric blue legged crab. I can't believe how long I can sit and watch those guys work! They are fascinating to me. My son will love them.

As long as everything stays in check, I will be adding 2 false percs this weekend. Then, after a bit more time, I would like to add a cleaner shrimp. I think I have room in the long run for more, but I'm going to leave it at that for now and let my son grow it from there as he grows up.

Can you believe I've managed to keep this project a secret this long? He has no idea his new room (right next door to his current room) has a 25 gallon tank up and running! Can't wait :)

Clown Fish

I have a 56 gallon tank and In my opinion live rock for your clown fish would thrive better with live rock, a couple power heads a heater, some lighting and either a protein skimmer and a heater. A lot of times the clown fish will eat some algae off of the live rock. When going from a fresh water tank to a saltwater tank it is best to do your homework as you also have many testing kits you need to use to make sure your saltwater is within the limits of what a saltwater tank consist off. It is not as easy as you think.

Eileen_1510:fish2::eek:

I have a 56 gallon tank and In my opinion live rock for your clown fish would thrive better with live rock, a couple power heads a heater, some lighting and either a protein skimmer and a heater. A lot of times the clown fish will eat some algae off of the live rock. When going from a fresh water tank to a saltwater tank it is best to do your homework as you also have many testing kits you need to use to make sure your saltwater is within the limits of what a saltwater tank consist off. It is not as easy as you think.

Eileen_1510:fish2::eek:

I didn't quite follow all of that, but I can tell you for sure that I have done a great deal of research on this, and continue to do so. My son's tank is 25 gallons with a 10 gallon sump w/refugium and a total of 27 pounds of live Figi Rock and a powerhead as well as a heater set at about 75 degrees. I've set up the rock to ensure a lot of caves, nooks and crannies so they will have good hiding places. While I would like to get an anemone at some point for them to host, I will more than likely get some soft corals that they might host instead. That is a down the road thing, though.

Right now, while its just a FOWLR, I am using the API SW test kit. Prior to adding any corals, I plan to get the Red Sea test kits, though any recommendations for better products are welcome.

I'm sure there are complexities I've yet to uncover, but I've made every effort to ensure success. I do appreciate the ongoing support and constructive advice I continue to receive here, though.

I removed the Nasarius snail. It looked a bit awful. It is no longer with us.

Everything else seems okay and I plan to add a fish this weekend. Are there any numbers I should check other than pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate before adding fish? All those numbers are good right now.

I removed the Nasarius snail. It looked a bit awful. It is no longer with us.

Everything else seems okay and I plan to add a fish this weekend. Are there any numbers I should check other than pH, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate before adding fish? All those numbers are good right now.

Ammonia: zero
pH about 8.2-8.4
NitrIte: zero
NitrAte: <20ppm (less than 10ppm is ideal, mine is amazingly zero!)

Just add fish slowly waiting for parameters that should return to zero to do so before adding more. Unless, you did a fishless cycle which if I remember correctly, you didn't. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom