New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's funny how things change. I was just reading through some of the history of this thread to make sure I had followed instructions and paid attention to recommendations. After reading, I see it sure didn't take me long to talk myself into something completely different than my original intention! I went from keeping it cheap, fake decor, HOB filtration, etc. to building my own 3-section sump with refugium, adding a protein skimmer and 27 pounds of live rock in preparation for the coral that is sure to come some day!

Still, though... I'm glad I did it this way. It's just a much better looking tank. I think there are some things I could have done better, but for my first setup... I'm pretty proud of it!

That is cool, I have had ~12 hermits for a year now and haven't seen this,I have tons of empty shells. I'm just not lucky I guess. I'm glad your boy saw it.

Well, he must not have liked the new shell too much. I later found it abandoned and his "old" shell was gone. It was a bit big and bulky. We could tell he was having trouble getting around, so I'm not too surprised.

Good grief... My son has the fever. Took him to the LFS to look at fish. He wanted a dog-faced puffer. I told him his tank is too small, so he says, "maybe we could get a bigger tank." Wow...

Good grief... My son has the fever. Took him to the LFS to look at fish. He wanted a dog-faced puffer. I told him his tank is too small, so he says, "maybe we could get a bigger tank." Wow...

It begins. Be a bit cautious as he doesn't quite know what he can keep alive and what's best left at the LFS. Glad he's into it!

It begins. Be a bit cautious as he doesn't quite know what he can keep alive and what's best left at the LFS. Glad he's into it!

No kidding. I'm thinking fire fish and gobies. Maybe a six-line wrasse or royal gramma baslett. Not him.... He's just looking for space for a bigger tank! Lol

Well, I just couldn't wait. One if the LFS in the are had a 30% off sale on frags. What better time to get started? Green star polyp, frogspawn and a brain coral.

Attachments

• image-2333180987.jpg
    image-2333180987.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 87
  • image-1718782593.jpg
    image-1718782593.jpg
    160 KB · Views: 88
  • image-2097214130.jpg
    image-2097214130.jpg
    117.7 KB · Views: 84
That's awesome. And don't pretend like your son was the first one to think "bigger tank". Lol! I had my 35 gal for 4 months before I got my 120 gallon...

That's awesome. And don't pretend like your son was the first one to think "bigger tank". Lol! I had my 35 gal for 4 months before I got my 120 gallon...

That's a huge jump really quick. I gave the 10 gallon he had to my sisters family. She was asking how much it would cost to set up a 55 before I ever finished setting up the 10.

That's a huge jump really quick. I gave the 10 gallon he had to my sisters family. She was asking how much it would cost to set up a 55 before I ever finished setting up the 10.

I know, I got an amazing deal on Craig's list....don't look at Craig's list! Lol
...I like how your son thinks...about the future! :)

Now don't blame your son for wanting a 300 gallon. ;-)

The dirty secret in this hobby is the cost to stability ratio. The larger the tank, the more stable it is and it's environment will allow for those fish you always wanted to live long and happy lives. But the acquisition and operating costs sky rocket. So most of us find a balance between what we can afford and what we can keep alive and happy.

Last edited:
Over the last couple of weeks, we've accumulated some coral frags for the tank. I've done research on all but one, and I can't remember what it was called. In order:

1. Red mushroom with blue dots
2. Brain
3. Unknown, but was told to put out of heavy light, so it's currently shaded. Seems to be doing okay. Looks a bit like Shrek.
4. Trumpet
5. Green star polyp
6. Frogspawn
7. Leather

Any tips/details you guys might have on these are helpful, particularly #3.

Attachments

• image-3453630587.jpg
    image-3453630587.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1466859024.jpg
    image-1466859024.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 59
  • image-1321612424.jpg
    image-1321612424.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2491658268.jpg
    image-2491658268.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image-2861666107.jpg
    image-2861666107.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 42
  • image-785777895.jpg
    image-785777895.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 55
  • image-2863143639.jpg
    image-2863143639.jpg
    162.1 KB · Views: 41
Just about everything you bought is low to moderate light, so don't shock them.

Yeah, my light isn't too high, total of 28 watts of T5 lighting. I was worried I messed up with the green star polyp. It didn't come out good for probably 3 days. It looks great, now.

The leather was one of my least favorites till I got it in the tank. The color is "kinda" purplish and it is doing great. I really like it.

Good choices for your setup.

Thanks. I try to research things before I get them. The "unknown" is the only one I didn't research. It was admittedly an impulse buy I picked up because it was on sale. If you know what it is, please let me know.

Back
Top Bottom