New To Marine Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CatoeSc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been running fresh water tanks for about a year, but my son really likes some of the saltwater fish, particularly clowns. I guess all Pixar kids do.

I know next to nothing about saltwater, but know I would like to one day have a nice big reef tank. For now, though, can anyone tell me how big of a tank I would need for a couple of clowns? Can they thrive without live coral, just using fake for a first time marine tank?

Are there any reasonable tank-mate options that would go with a couple of clowns?

I hope this isn't an overly stupid question.

I think 20 gal is the minimum for clowns I think if you could go maybe a 30 that would be great and you can get a few more fish too

Last edited by a moderator:
20 gallon tank with a fire fish or yellow watch man goby. A striped cleaner shrimp too, good shrimp and also off nemo

I agree, 20g is about the smallest tank I would put a pair of clowns in. It is also a decent started size tank, although I would go bigger if you can afford it / have room for it.

As long as the decoration is safe for aquariums.most clown now a days are captive breed and are harder to host a anemone or such.just do some research, have patience and willing to keep up with it and you should be fine.

If it was me I wouldn't use fake decorations, they just look tacky! The love rock in your tank will look natural and there are some low light corals that will look good. Clowns don't need to host anemones, they will host just about anything, heaters, skimmers, the corners of your tank ;)

I agree fake looks pretty "fake." However, this would be a tank for my sons room to replace his 10 gallon FW. I have a 40 gallon planted tank that is my "high tech" expensive project. I suspect the fish and upkeep for a 20 to 30 gallon SW setup will be pretty pricy w/o the coral/light/etc. I prefer the real deal, but don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

The tank I've been looking at is a 29 gallon cube. How would you stock around a pair of clowns in a tank that size?

Also, what does "host" mean?

And just a standard light for starters, then upgrade later down the road if you want too! For your info it is still going to be more more expensive than fresh. You will need test kits, a refractometer and preferably ro-di water and a good salt mix. It is also more time consuming, weekly water changes, testing and topping off every couple of days. Not wanting to put you off, just giving you the heads up ;)

Hosting refers to the symbiotic relationship between a clown fish and an anemone (you've seen the movie right?) it is not necessary though and most clownfish are tank bred so they don't know what an anemone is. FYI anemones are also for down the road, they require intense lighting and near perfect water conditions, just in case your kids ask why nemo can't have one ;)

And just a standard light for starters, then upgrade later down the road if you want too! For your info it is still going to be more more expensive than fresh. You will need test kits, a refractometer and preferably ro-di water and a good salt mix. It is also more time consuming, weekly water changes, testing and topping off every couple of days. Not wanting to put you off, just giving you the heads up ;)

Yeah, I anticipate this will be quite a learning experience. I'm already accustomed to weekly water changes, and for consistency will buy my water at the LFS so I don't screw anything up.

Just wondering about topping off every couple of days. I would have a tight fitting glass top- will I get that much evaporation? That seems like a lot. Is that unique to SW setups? Reason I'm asking is that I do weekly changes on our tanks and haven't seen that w/ FW.

Forgive me if I sound like I'm doubting you, just trying to understand.

Forgot to ask-any filtration issues I should consider? Can I use a HOB filter or go I need to use a canister? I don't thing I would have room for a sump or anything like that right now.

Forgot to ask-any filtration issues I should consider? Can I use a HOB filter or go I need to use a canister? I don't thing I would have room for a sump or anything like that right now.

You don't actually need a filter of any sort, they tend to make nitrates. The live rock will be your main source of filtration.

It's your sons tank put in it what you want and he wants. Hob filters are fine a aqua clear or emperor 200 would be fine. The bio well or any hob or canister is not a nitrate factory if properly cared for. Here's a 36 bowfront with a hob "bio wheel.with 5 or 10 gal wc a week. Buy the necessities at first then the other equipment. We're here to encourage you and help you not to overwhelm or push our ideas.

Attachments

• image-2970518167.jpg
    image-2970518167.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 186
  • image-1641460609.jpg
    image-1641460609.jpg
    218 KB · Views: 179
  • image-1457981896.jpg
    image-1457981896.jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 192
Recent pix after we put it in a preschool for summer. Nemo for the kids her real name is 5 dollar

Attachments

• image-254756018.jpg
    image-254756018.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 197
A tight fitting glass top is not usually recommended as saltwater tanks need to breath in order to keep their PH up. A mesh top is far superior and easily made.

Most run a low limit of 7.8 and a high limit of 8.4, I run from 8.1 to 8.3. You want it to vary as little as possible. Variation is generally caused by C02 buildup in the water when photosynthesis is halted by lights out. Keeping good gas exchange helps reduce the variation as the tank can blow off C02 easier. My Ph use to vary up to .4 points when I closed up the house and turned on the air conditioning. I helped solve this by giving my protein skimmer a outside air source.

Back
Top Bottom