New to reef

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MommaFishels

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am just now getting started with corals. I have a 75 gallon aquarium with about 75 pounds of live rock. The tank has been cycled since December. I have 2 clowns, 3 cardinals, 1 orange watchman goby, 1 yellow tang (very small), and 1 Potter's Angel fish. Well I read an article on the Potters a few months back but when I went to the fish store, I don't know what happened, I bought one. Well I do know what happened, they are cool looking fish. He's doing well and seems to have survived the 1 month period so hopefully he will last. Now, I have added 3 corals so far: 1 pom pom xenia, 1 candy candy coral (Pocillopora verrucosa), 1 Indigo Digitata (Montipora digitata). Well the angel seems to be facinated by the candy cane coral and not quite sure what to do. Apparently I was pretty much gullible when the LFS told me that pygmy angels do not care for corals. So here is my question for all...is there any amount of persuasion I can do to stop him from eating them? I have heard buy a green brain coral and he will eat that for a few years but that sounds kind of bogus to me. Any thoughts?

All angel fish are a crap shoot when it comes to corals. I had two angels go 4 yrs before they decided to start nipping at corals. They finished a green brain coral overnight. Your LFS is not too knowledgeable. If they start nipping corals then they have to go or your corals will soon go.

When they messed with mine they ate the fleshy corals like brain, hammer and bubble coral. I didnt at the time have any SPS corals but I`ve heard that they will munch on them also. I`ve taken the NO angels pledge.

My vote/recommendation/hope/wish for more enjoyment for you is to return the angel and enjoy a nice reef without the immediate or long term worries.

I've weened large angels, dwarf angels, and puffers off of corals successfully in qt, but direct tank additions may take some coaxing. Try clipping some nori in the tank and see if the angel becomes interested. I've had angels nip corals unless fed nori everyday or every other day. Worth a shot :)

Back
Top Bottom