Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-25-2004, 11:10 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to Reef Tanks - Where to buy?

Ok, I stopped by my LFS for some real-time advice and have decided to avoid them for the most part as they wanted to do a COMPLETE reef setup in a week and a half (that's from dry tank to LS, LR, Inverts, Fish, Anemone's, Coral, etc.) AFAIK, that would pretty much be a guaranteed disaster everything in the tank (my suspicion is that they're money hungry).

Even if they can do it, I'd rather be a bit more methodical in my approach, and take my time. So much so that I'm really only interested in locating the correct tank at the moment.

So, what I'm looking for is a good list of places to buy Tanks online, or tank recommendations for a 50-ish Gal. corner tank (Pentagon or Bow) that has internal plumbing, or can be plumbed through the bottom (is that done?).

TIA for your help!

Old 02-25-2004, 11:58 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

We buy all of our stuff on www.saltwaterfish.com. Their quality is usually pretty good, I have heard great things about their LR and LS, but have hear alot of bad things and had one bad experience w/ the admin on the message boards. The product is great...the boards are something I wouldnt recommend.

Squishy

175gallon reef

5,100 gal pond

Fish are people too!
SquishyFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 12:48 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to yaksplat Send a message via MSN to yaksplat Send a message via Yahoo to yaksplat
AFAIK there aren't any places to buy large tanks online. I've tried to find one, but I'm assuming that it would be quite difficult to get a company to ship a large piece of glass. Shipping companies might not guarantee something like that. I had planned on going the same route, but to no avail. I ended up buying my 55 gal at a LFS for just under a 100.

Jim
Old 02-25-2004, 01:28 PM   #4

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at saltwaterfish.com for livestock as they have pretty good prices and seem like good people.

Yak, I'm thinking you're right in buying a tank locally. Luckily, I just found http://www.tropicisleaquarium.com/index.html which seems like it should have a pretty good selection.
Old 02-25-2004, 05:23 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Gibeon... "We have more than 500 tanks of tropical fish in our 5,700 square foot showroom."

Jealous!

I love the fishes cause they're so delicious.
Sati is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 08:09 PM   #6

I'm hoping to make it over there this weekend. They are quite a bit larger than the first LFS I went to earlier this week.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:27 AM   #7

I would highly recommend www.captivereefs.com for all your hardware needs. Darrin is great, he will get you going in the right direction. www.liverocks.com is amazing for lr and ls.

Steve
Old 02-26-2004, 08:19 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

Also, check the newspapers. A friend of mine bought a reef ready 200 gal tank, stand & hood for $600. It was in great condition, no scratches. Try some papers for your neighboring towns.
Old 02-26-2004, 09:19 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Gibeon,

Im not wure where your town is (I am from Agawam MA) but do a search for Boston Reefers Club, I would be willing to bet that they can steer you in the right direction.

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2004, 10:52 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Activist

Send a message via Yahoo to Wally
Here is a link to the Boston club http://www.bostonreefers.org/

The more I learn the less I know
Wally is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
reef, reef tank, reef tanks, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com