New to Reef Tanks - Where to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibeon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok, I stopped by my LFS for some real-time advice and have decided to avoid them for the most part as they wanted to do a COMPLETE reef setup in a week and a half (that's from dry tank to LS, LR, Inverts, Fish, Anemone's, Coral, etc.) AFAIK, that would pretty much be a guaranteed disaster everything in the tank (my suspicion is that they're money hungry).

Even if they can do it, I'd rather be a bit more methodical in my approach, and take my time. So much so that I'm really only interested in locating the correct tank at the moment.

So, what I'm looking for is a good list of places to buy Tanks online, or tank recommendations for a 50-ish Gal. corner tank (Pentagon or Bow) that has internal plumbing, or can be plumbed through the bottom (is that done?).

TIA for your help!

We buy all of our stuff on www.saltwaterfish.com. Their quality is usually pretty good, I have heard great things about their LR and LS, but have hear alot of bad things and had one bad experience w/ the admin on the message boards. The product is great...the boards are something I wouldnt recommend.

Squishy

AFAIK there aren't any places to buy large tanks online. I've tried to find one, but I'm assuming that it would be quite difficult to get a company to ship a large piece of glass. Shipping companies might not guarantee something like that. I had planned on going the same route, but to no avail. I ended up buying my 55 gal at a LFS for just under a 100.

Jim

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at saltwaterfish.com for livestock as they have pretty good prices and seem like good people.

Yak, I'm thinking you're right in buying a tank locally. Luckily, I just found http://www.tropicisleaquarium.com/index.html which seems like it should have a pretty good selection.

I'm hoping to make it over there this weekend. They are quite a bit larger than the first LFS I went to earlier this week.

Also, check the newspapers. A friend of mine bought a reef ready 200 gal tank, stand & hood for $600. It was in great condition, no scratches. Try some papers for your neighboring towns.

Gibeon,

Im not wure where your town is (I am from Agawam MA) but do a search for Boston Reefers Club, I would be willing to bet that they can steer you in the right direction.

Hey Wally, thanks for the link! I've already found a couple more LFS's to visit as soon as I can track them down.

Oh, and I'm actually only a few miles south of Boston.

Gibeon,

I most recently (before moving to WI) lived in Middleborough right of of 495. I used to work in Cape Cod....Small world huh?

Tropical Isle is a great store. Large selection of everything fresh, salt, accessories, etc. Very knowledgeable staff. i love to browse in there.

Back
Top Bottom