New to salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

derailed

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Just joined the forums, looking to convert my 125 gallon tank to salt. First off my tank is 18 wide by 72 length. I need to replace the top and since I'm looking to go salt wanna get the best advice in which equipment to get. I do have an under tank jebo filter , have no clue if that can be used for anything regarding salt. Any how here is a pic of what it looks like now. As far as getting going which order? Coral first? What sand? Etc.. Totally newb on salt so treat me with kid gloves :) there are fish in there,, had just cleaned it and my dempseys are mad and hiding in the rocks lol

image-3424436407.jpg

Okay where to start haha first of all I recommend a sump for filtration where you can keep a skimmer, a refugium, and a return pump and anything else you want. An undergravel filter won't help
Then Add all the rock first, (it should be live rock, it helps so much)
Then add the sand ( 1.5 inches is the amount I recommend ):)
What lighting will you have?

First of all, welcome to AA and to the saltwater hobby! The jebo filter is a canister filter? It can be used, but especially for such a large tank, canister filters can be nitrate factories. Sumps are the way to go and a DIY sump isn't too hard (tons of youtube videos/articles on how to do it). Sumps are for reactors, protein skimmers, and refugium (or bioballs which can also be a nitrate factory so don't recommend those).

If you don't have a liquid test kit, I recommend you get one as it is very important to know your parameters. If it's an API test kit you can ask the company to send a saltwater color card. If not Red Sea and Salifert test kits are more accurate.

You'll also need:
-Salt (Red Sea Coral Pro salt, Reef crystals instant ocean, Kent Marine are quality salts for reef tanks. The regular instant ocean salt is good for FOWLR tanks)
-hydrometer or refractometer which is more accurate.
-powerheads (optional, but really recommend. Koralias are good/cheap)
-heater (temp should be around 77-80 F)
-Protein skimmer. Tons of brands, but reef octopus is a popular one.
-RO/DI System. Since you have a large tank I suggest you invest in one of these. Buying RO/DI or RO from the LFS (local fish store) weekly is a lot of work and hard to keep up. A last resort option is buying distilled water from the grocery store, but that's hard work to bring back and forth too. Don't use tap water though. There are lots of choices, but a popular/good choice is BRS RO/DI system (found on bulkreefsupply.com).
-ATO (auto top off) system is a good idea b/c replacing evaporated water everyday is painful

T5 HO, LEDs, MH, VHO, PC are options for a reef. LEDs have become popular because of the strength, length of life, and inexpensive price tag that they have. Taotronics, for example, are cheap & grow everything from what I've read. Zoas, mushrooms, and most LPS like duncans are great beginner corals.

Fishless cycling is the way to go IMO. You can add pure ammonia or put a table shrimp in a net and let it rot until the ammonia goes up to 4-5 ppm. Only add a fish or CUC (clean up crew) when there is zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and a small amount of nitrate (lower the better).

Ordering online is much cheaper than the LFS:
marinedepot.com
bulkreefsupply.com
drfostersmith.com

livestock options, quick stats:
liveaquaria.com
bluezooaquatics.com

Good luck and best advice for SW is to be patient :D.

First of all, welcome to AA and to the saltwater hobby! The jebo filter is a canister filter? It can be used, but especially for such a large tank, canister filters can be nitrate factories. Sumps are the way to go and a DIY sump isn't too hard (tons of youtube videos/articles on how to do it). Sumps are for reactors, protein skimmers, and refugium (or bioballs which can also be a nitrate factory so don't recommend those).

If you don't have a liquid test kit, I recommend you get one as it is very important to know your parameters. If it's an API test kit you can ask the company to send a saltwater color card. If not Red Sea and Salifert test kits are more accurate.

You'll also need:
-Salt (Red Sea Coral Pro salt, Reef crystals instant ocean, Kent Marine are quality salts for reef tanks. The regular instant ocean salt is good for FOWLR tanks)
-RO/DI System. Since you have a large tank I suggest you invest in one of these. Buying RO/DI or RO from the LFS (local fish store) weekly is a lot of work and hard to keep up. A last resort option is buying distilled water from the grocery store, but that's hard work to bring back and forth too. Don't use tap water though. There are lots of choices, but a popular/good choice is BRS RO/DI system (found on bulkreefsupply.com).
-ATO (auto top off) system is a good idea b/c replacing evaporated water everyday is painful

T5 HO, LEDs, MH, VHO, PC are options for a reef. LEDs have become popular because of the strength, length of life, and inexpensive price tag that they have. Taotronics, for example, are cheap & grow everything from what I've read. Zoas, mushrooms, and most LPS like duncans are great beginner corals.

Fishless cycling is the way to go IMO. You can add pure ammonia or put a table shrimp in a net and let it rot until the ammonia goes up to 4-5 ppm. Only add a fish or CUC (clean up crew) when there is zero ammonia, zero nitrite, and a small amount of nitrate (lower the better).

marinedepot.com
bulkreefsupply.com
drfostersmith.com

liveaquaria.com
bluezooaquatics.com

You are the man for being so precise. +1 on all his information

Wow! What great responses! Looking forward to this project it seems like great knowledge in these forums, takes a bit of pressure off. Thanks again!

Woman :), and thanks. I wish someone handed me a list of things, but research proved to be helpful and entertaining.

Oops! Major mistake! Haha I am so sorry! I completely agree. Your are so nice for helping out. This hobby is really fun to start but without guidance this hobby and quickly become a negative thing

Oops! Major mistake! Haha I am so sorry! I completely agree. Your are so nice for helping out. This hobby is really fun to start but without guidance this hobby and quickly become a negative thing

Completely alright! Thanks and unfortunately things can go downhill much faster than uphill.

You'll also need:

marinedepot.com
bulkreefsupply.com
drfostersmith.com

liveaquaria.com
bluezooaquatics.com

Great info & help. Wish I had that much patience to type so much lol. Kudos.

For the OP also add livestock slowly. A fish or two every couple weeks and also research, research, and more research.

Back
Top Bottom