Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Saltwater and Reef > Saltwater & Reef - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

New to salt and need help

I have a buddy who is going to give me his 14g biocube that is already been running for a while. My question is I have ordered mj 900, media intank insert, fishsaver insert. Do I change components out while tank is full or do I need to remove water to make upgrades. The tank is run as a fish tank which currently has two clown and one live rock. Also what testing equipment will I need to get inorder to keep everything in good running condition.

Old 09-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

i changed my gear out while it was full. Just with the pumps turned off. A good alternative would be to do it while doing a water change and the water level is low.

I would recommend the API saltwater master kit, it has ph, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates in it. If you go corals you may need phosphates, calcium and magnesium kits as well.

Old 09-05-2011, 09:22 PM   #3

What test kits are out there that will cover all of that in one test kit. Or will I need to buy separate kits. Also what about salinity tester, which work well. Since I'm new and really have no idea on company names or what test kits to buy, were do most of you buy your test equipment at.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

The API is a multi test kit. To get the other test I usually go through aquacave and use salifert tests for the calcium, magnesium , alaklinity and phosphtes. Slaifert and elos make top end single tests that are very accurate. But I don't think you will need those right off.

As far as salinity testing, pass on the swing arm hydrometer and get this
So accurate and easy to use and only a bit more than a hydrometer.

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 09-05-2011, 09:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the help

On the salinity tester which one should I get?

On the upgrades how did u remove the false floors in the biocube. It states to remove floor in chamber two and then I have read people also removed it from chamber one.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:41 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

You just kinda press hard on it and out it comes. I only have it removed form the center compartment I believe.
Old 09-05-2011, 09:48 PM   #7

What did u use in order to remove it?

Also what salinity tester did u recommend?
Old 09-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

I had my b/f oush down hard on it til it popped out. This is the refractometer that I have

eBay - New & used electronics, cars, apparel, collectibles, sporting goods & more at low prices
Old 09-05-2011, 09:55 PM   #9

Got it didn't follow the link on first post.
Old 09-05-2011, 11:02 PM   #10

Got it didn't follow the link on first post.

Tags
salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com