New to salt and no LFS

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wasteguys2000

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all I have spent the last few days reading hundreds of pages(Carey threads LOL) on saltwater FOWLR builds. Now I think i will try my hand at this part of the hobby, I have plenty of motivation to get this done but I still need the knowledge (you guys and girls) to get it done right and without and dead friends. So here is what i want to do i will have a 37 tall that will be free in a couple days, I was going to use this for FW but I am going to use a 150 for that. Now is a 37 tall a bad choice for a FOWLR or am i ok? If I am ok then off to the next part, can i use my AQ 110 on this tank for a filter or do i have to make a sump? I have no issue with making a sump except I have no idea what needs to be done to my tank to hookup a sump. So if i can use my AQ for now until I get the sump details worked out then I am ok with that but how do I get the stuff on the top of the water cleaned with a HOT filter? Oh and BTW I have no LFS to ask questions or look at setups so I will be using you all for my knowledge base.

Welcome to the salty side! LOL

Now I can't argue with free but a tall tank isn't usually the best footprint for a tank but it can be done. How wide or long is the tank and how tall is it?

I would use the aquaclear and I think it will be just fine. the live rock is the majority of your biological filtration anyways so it's mostly for particulate matter and to run chemical filtration.

I would get two powerheads which will keep the water circulated and allows your filter to pick up the debris. Not sure which powerheads kinds depends on the tank dimensions. :)

Good luck and ask any questions you have, we are all here to help.

Hmmm...a couple of ideas. First, you don't necessarily need a sump for a saltwater system..you can use the AQ 110 but you want to make sure yo have good flow thrioughout the tank. Given that this is a "tall" tank, the flow from the filter may not be enough to get to the bottom. You can supplement the flow with a powerhead on the other end; maybe position it a little further down in the tank. I had a 75 gallon. I used the AQ 110 Filter at one end and a sponge filter at the other with an AQ 110 powerhead; I had no circulation issues.

Second, is your AQ filter in use now in a FW or is it new? If it is in use or has been used, you might want to get a new sponge. The bacteria that thrives in a FW system won't live in SW. You can either get a new sponge, or, boil the sponge you have to make sure all the bacteria, dirt, embedded food etc is cleaned out. You want to start your SW out with as clean equipment as you can manage.

If you want to look into what it takes to construct a sump, just do a search for constructing a sump. I know I have seen articles out there.

Ty for the fast responses. the tank specs are 30.25"x12.5"x23" and I am glad to hear that the AQ will due atm, i will read some more about the sumps but all the things I have read dont show how they hook up to the tank so I am still abit confused about how that works.

You would have to get an overflow box that hangs on the back of the tank and through a siphon tube takes the water from the tank and drops it below in the sump. Not too terribly complicated but for that size tank you shou;ld be fine with a hang on for now. :)

I think the dimensions look ok, its like a 29g tank but taller.

You could turn the AC into a HOB fuge, a lot easier than having a HOB overflow for a a sump.

So the AC would double as a fuge? and what is the lighting requirements for a FOWLR?

Any lights you have will do for a fowlr.your tank is small enough to do without a sump as long as you keep up with weekly water changes.

Update, I purchased a 4bulb t5 light set , and i am looking into having a custom sump made that will fit in my lower section, until then I will use the AC . Question about bulb choices what is up with the blue bulbs? and what bulbs do i need to buy?

I run 2 12k spectrum whites and 2 actinics. If youre looking for a good quality bulb then I'd go with ATI.

Back
Top Bottom